Python Forum
installing any package= impossible headache
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
installing any package= impossible headache
That anaconda looks much easier, especially since it starts w/ 100 packages so you have less to manually install. Maybe I can use that whenever I get another computer with linux, since doing all this over again would be a pain (take a guess if I was able to install linux last time I tried). Say packageA requires scipy version 1.0 and packageB requires scipy versioni 1.1. Having packageA & B installed together would already have conflicts, so it seems all this pip "easy" install stuff wouldn't have a way to make everything the "correct" version anyway. Plus my guess is maybe pip recognizes a package, maybe it doesn't. Maybe a package you create is accepted as part of anaconda's 100, maybe not. If not, your package becomes obscure and nobody uses it, sort of monopolizing packages that are pip or anaconda approved only. If pip didn't exist, maybe you would go to the moviepy site, and instead of the directions being "do this with pip/command prompt", it would simply be "download this zipped folder, unzip and paste into c:\python27" etc. Ta da, now you can import it. That seems at first glance much simpler to me so I don't really understand the need for pip/command prompt, it seems to just complicate stuff rather than simplify. But I don't know enough about it to really know what is the best way. Anyway I saw that wheel link 3 posts back has a dependency of its own (numpy+mkl) so for now maybe I have enough downloaded that I can code the relatively simple thing I wanted to code (a sort of music video that matches the tempo of an mp3).

Messages In This Thread
RE: installing any package= impossible headache - by ineedastupidusername - Nov-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trouble installing python package Tuxedo 1 3,295 Apr-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Installing package in Anaconda on an Intranet Computer Secret 1 1,963 Sep-17-2020, 02:16 PM
  Error when installing Seaborn package using pip chawkins 3 5,640 Jul-16-2018, 12:12 AM