Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch SFTP Folder
Thanks for the reply Buran...
I ended up getting it to work a different way - I'm sure there is a much better way to do this, but it is working the way I need so it'll do for now until I learn more Big Grin

t0 = time.time()
            while total_files != total_files_required:
                time.sleep(10)
                remote_files = sftp.listdir("REMOTE_DIRECTORY_TO_WATCH")
                logging.info("Robot is currently waiting for the total matched filenames to = the total expected matches, current number of matches is: " + str(total_files))
                for filename in expected_files:
                    t1 = time.time()
                    logging.info("Looking for: " + filename + " in the remote directory.")
                    total_time = t1-t0
                    if total_time == 7200:
                        logging.warning("Robot has been waiting for all of the expected extract files for 2 hours & has now aborted.")
                        update_job_log_table("subjet for email notification", "job status", "email template to use", job number)
                        sys.exit(1)
                    if filename + SUFFIX_TO_FETCH in remote_files:
                        logging.info("I've found filename: " + filename + " in the remote directory & will remove it from the list of required files variable so i'm only looking for files that are still missing.")
                        expected_files = [expected_files for expected_files in expected_files if expected_files != filename]
                        total_files = total_files + 1
So basically I have a query before this part which will tell me the filenames that are expected in the remote folder + the count of expected files.
It loops through looking for these files names and if it is found it will +1 to the total_files variable and remove that file from the expected_files list variable and continue the loop looking or what is left in the expected files variable.
Once the total_files variable = the number of expected files in the query it will start the download.
If it has been waiting for 2 hours it will call the update_job_log_table to update a table in a db and send a notification email about the failure and then exit.

The only part I have not tested is the time part to exit after 2 hours, everything else however, works fine Smile

If someone reads this and wants to suggest better ways of doing this I'm more than happy to have a read and give it a shot Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Watch SFTP Folder - by torz - Nov-30-2017, 11:23 PM
RE: Watch SFTP Folder - by buran - Dec-01-2017, 07:21 AM
RE: Watch SFTP Folder - by torz - Dec-02-2017, 01:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare folder A and subfolder B and display files that are in folder A but not in su Melcu54 3 530 Jan-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  no such file or directory in SFTP saisankalpj 2 1,539 Nov-25-2022, 11:07 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  file transfer via python SFTP SCP mg24 3 2,969 Sep-15-2022, 04:20 AM
Last Post: mg24
  Compare filename with folder name and copy matching files into a particular folder shantanu97 2 4,472 Dec-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Move file from one folder to another folder with timestamp added end of file shantanu97 0 2,467 Mar-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: shantanu97
  Python Cut/Copy paste file from folder to another folder rdDrp 4 5,041 Aug-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: rdDrp
  Opening CSV file from SFTP server not working cluelessintern 0 2,766 Apr-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cluelessintern
  Watch new files and modify it Macha 3 2,727 Mar-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Delete directories in folder is not working after folder is updated asheru93 2 2,646 Feb-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: asheru93
  Connect to SFTP to read cvs files arunlal 1 3,014 Nov-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Last Post: buran