Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why so complicated?
I'm running python on no less than three different platforms. This is obviously my own fault, but I'm a bit puzzled all the same.

One system is running on windows 7, another is running on fedora 27 and finally I have a QPython3 app on my android phone, so I can goof around whilst in transit.

I'm well into python albeit an absolute novice; it's fun and I get a very pleasant sense of fulfilment whenever something "clicks" ot otherwise works out.

On the other hand, I also experience frustration. Not so much with the coding bit in and by itself (it's only normal that it doesn't just write itself given that I've a lot to learn still), rather my toils and endeavours seem to revolve around installing modules.

For the three aforementioned platforms everything is a bit different in those terms, even though the common denominator seems to be "difficult". The worst of the three paradoxically being Fedora (seeing as python is basically a native programme on this platform, it really ought to go more smoothly, I feel).

I've learned that I'm not to sudo pip install on the Fedora platform as it will create clutter and make my system vulnerable to outside attacks. However this is the only way I can avoid winding up with an errno 13 during installation. Pip --user install never works.

Sifting through document upon document in order to filter out one short, simple command that will enable me to install a module. Every single time. And every single time it's a new issue; there's always something missing, something extra I have to do, something that has to be "mined" out of long winded articles, not immediately available on the webpages, rather hidden somewhere on a different webpage alltogether. Absolutely wrecks my workflow, this.

Tarballs, pip install, drilling down into folders, the partridge and the pear tree. For a newbie it's not exactly easy to work out the ins and outs of it all.

I just realised that trying to run functions out of the Pillow module on Fedora requires different import commands than on Windows, and I can't help but think that this is problematic. - Will I have to run some try and except block if I want to failsafe my script, so that it will work on both platforms? Will it flake? Why didn't I buy more whiskey when I was at the shop?

The phone, well, I just diligently avoid inserting modules.

The Windows system (which I actually originally thought would give me the most grief) is mostly ok with using pip install, and I insert said modules without incident.

Why is there such a discrepancy between these methods, I wonder? Why is fedora constantly giving me error codes when it ought to work well with Python? And why hasn't these methods been streamlined a long time ago? Ought there not be a "PEP8" for devs; something to make it a little easier on everyone?

I'm not saying that I'm about to quit Python, neither am I crying myself to sleep at night, but I wonder.

What do you think?

Messages In This Thread
Why so complicated? - by vulpesVelox - Jan-27-2018, 10:06 PM
RE: Why so complicated? - by wavic - Jan-27-2018, 10:26 PM
RE: Why so complicated? - by vulpesVelox - Jan-28-2018, 12:14 AM
RE: Why so complicated? - by snippsat - Jan-27-2018, 10:52 PM
RE: Why so complicated? - by Gribouillis - Jan-27-2018, 11:33 PM
RE: Why so complicated? - by league55 - Jan-28-2018, 01:11 AM
RE: Why so complicated? - by wavic - Jan-28-2018, 01:37 AM
RE: Why so complicated? - by vulpesVelox - Jan-28-2018, 10:59 AM
RE: Why so complicated? - by league55 - Jan-28-2018, 11:14 AM
RE: Why so complicated? - by Gribouillis - Jan-28-2018, 05:37 AM