Python Forum
Newbie help with configuring IDE please
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie help with configuring IDE please
Further to the thread by mehenaveen, I'd like some help please with configuring Geany. My specific problem is this:

I'm running a Linux distro. Following advice elsewhere, I decided that instead of using the system installer (Pacman) to install each and every additional Python module system-wide, I would set up a local Python installation so that as I learn and write code etc. I can install modules locally and without permissions, and that I can similarly delete that code and those files without touching the system files. If I simply wrote new files directly inside the virtual environment I'd have no problem. But that gets messy very quickly. I hope that explanation makes sense.

So, I have successfully installed a virtual environment under my home directory, which has the following path:

/home/<username>/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages

And the python files that I write, I choose to keep separate - the reason being I want to learn how one might structure and run an entire project despite I'm currently only writing single files of a few lines each. So, my .py files live somewhere like:

home/<username>/Documents/myPython/test.py

What I cannot figure out is how do I configure Geany such that I open my test.py file from within my Documents folder, but have Geany execute the python code inside the virtual environment. It is a problem of path naming surely?

I have looked at some of the documentation referring to PythonPaths, $HOME and so forth, but am nervous of editing my .bashrc because, this being Linux, Python is embedded within it, and I want to keep my OS and my own Python projects completely separate.

Do I misunderstand something? Is the answer to indeed edit my .bashrc or .bash_profile? Or is there a way to simply configure Geany correctly?

Messages In This Thread
Newbie help with configuring IDE please - by new_learner_999 - Apr-05-2018, 01:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having problem configuring and using acitoolkit JSung 3 2,106 Aug-17-2021, 03:09 AM
Last Post: JSung
  VSCode Setup and configuring to run with Python apollo 2 3,121 Jan-13-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  run into issues while configuring visual-studio code on a win 7 machine. apollo 3 3,727 Sep-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Configuring interpretor in PyCharm: [Errno 2] No such file or directory BoaCoder3 0 8,100 Sep-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoaCoder3
  Help configuring Geany for Python PickyBiker 0 3,904 Dec-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PickyBiker