Python Forum
Why do I have trouble creating code from scratch?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do I have trouble creating code from scratch?
It's interesting Craig, I've thought about this alot. I've been a highly regarded chief engineer for 10 years and I've thought, "how can I be so level headed with engineering but so lost with coding?"

My theory comes down to my trained way of thinking. I didn't learn engineering until my 20's. Another words I wasn't raised by an engineer tinkering in the garage (single Mom in NYC). Somewhat early in my career I had a realization, "I have to change the way I think and tackle problems." I had to start thinking in (whole) systems and this is the way I've been successful. Once you know the system, when faced with a problem, keep mentally dividing the system in half by troubleshooting and one efficiently finds the problem.

Coding seems to be the opposite for the thought process. Don't think about the whole project and how it's supposed to end up. Focus on the little piece of code snippet you're working on, get that written, working, and tested, and then integrate it into the whole project.

Once again in my life, I need to change my thought process to become a successful coder. At 50 (ok 49) I'm having the most difficulty with this changing of my thought process.

Anybody experience this, agree, or disagree with my assessment?
Phil

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do I have trouble creating code from scratch? - by pcsailor - Nov-26-2018, 05:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW TO PYTHON FROM SCRATCH! WISH ME LUCK! RZola 2 2,173 Aug-16-2021, 06:02 AM
Last Post: buran
  Creating Python scripts in Visual Studio Code Sanjish 4 2,669 Dec-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  asyncio documentation has been rewritten from scratch snippsat 3 2,890 Sep-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Last Post: wavic