Python Forum
[PyQt] Managing variables accross a multiple module GUI
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PyQt] Managing variables accross a multiple module GUI
Okay @Skaperen then we can agree to disagree on global variables but I am going to guess my many years of experience has been different than yours. Mine have had to work on many ugly post-production projects as well as ground floor development -- I have found that globals (while in old school were necessary sometimes) are and always have been a very dangerous tool to use as such even in old school it had been determined (by many others besides myself) that they ought only be used when absolutely necessary (aka next to never used). Of course this did not stop the lazy minded (or in-experienced) programmers from utilizing them which of course made debugging certain issues a proverbial nightmare. Now in more current coding languages and methodologies the use of globals and semi-globals has become even less of a necessity and as such now mostly only exist because someone was either old school lazy or did not know how to use the language properly.

I grant you there might be cause to use them under extremely rare circumstances (and only if definitely needed) but then they ought to be extremely well documented as well (which rarely happens).

And you pretty much got what I was saying otherwise.

Also I concur @Skaperen drops us your modules and/or concepts and let us help you redesign them such that they are structured cleaner and you can see how such a thing works and then use the concept on current and future projects. Which is to say (if I understood Skaperen correctly) we are both willing to lend you a free hand -- grab this opportunity while its available.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Managing variables accross a multiple module GUI - by Denni - Jul-08-2019, 01:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Tkinter] Defining a self made module's function to interact with the main .py variables? Gilush 9 4,490 Jun-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Gilush