Python Forum
How to automate list separation. NOOB
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to automate list separation. NOOB
All the relevant files look the same, the only difference being the filename after "filename=" and before ".txt.gz"...
w3.ndbc.noaa.gov/view_text_file.php?filename=21346t2013.txt.gz&dir=data/historical/dart/
...they each redirect from their own d/l pages (below) which follow the same pattern. There is a link here which when clicked will d/l the .gz text file, but I don't know if that's easier or not, and like I said, I don't need to keep these files. If it's easier, I have enough room on my drive.
w3.ndbc.noaa.gov/download_data.php?filename=21346t2013.txt.gz&dir=data/historical/dart/
...so I suppose it's just a matter of lifting the file names from the following page...
Found on this page: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/historical_data.shtml
under this heading: Water-column Height (Tsunameters using DART® technology)
...and inserting them into the URL at the top above. Then all the data on the page could be copied and the sorting/listing/min-max functions applied. Conversely, the .gz files could be stored locally and worked on from there.
This isn't all the files I need, but I can always modify the program parameters to include any other locations I find. It would be a really good start, though.
[n.b. - w3 = https://www]
[n.b. - the water column height seems to be a unique value which always looks like 0000.000 or 000.000, no other data has this format, jsyk.]
Hope all that was helpful.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to automate list separation. NOOB - by LobateScarp - Sep-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Automate the boring stuff, inserting commas in list srikanth 1 2,132 Jul-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Automate the boring stuff, inserting commas in list DJ_Qu 3 4,724 Apr-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  1. How can I automate this batch creation of documents? 2. How can I automate posting SamLearnsPython 2 3,444 Jul-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: buran