Python Forum
When I import a Module it wont run
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When I import a Module it wont run
I posted previously without reading your reply.
This is what Ive now done
import os
import globalVariables as gv

def listCWD():
    """ This section lists everything in the current working directory

the if condition means that the code beneath it will only run if this file(__name__) is the Main Module(__main__)
    e.g it will not run if this module has been imported into another module. """

try:
      gv.directoryList = os.listdir(gv.directoryIn)
      print('directoryList =\n',gv.directoryList)

except FileNotFoundError:
      print('FileNotFoundError:\na List for the Directory gv.directoryIn cannnot be created\nbecause the Global Variable gv.directoryIn is an empty string.\n'
                      'To correct this either:\na)run the returnCWD function in this Module to assign a directory to gv.directoryIn or\nb)open the globalVariables.py file and setgv.directoryIn to = None')

except TypeError:
      print('TypeError:\na List for the Directory gv.directoryIn cannnot be created\nbecause the Global Variable gv.directoryIn has been assigned to equal either:\n'
                     'a)List\nb)Set\nc)Tuple\n'
                     'To correct this either:\na)run the returnCWD function in this M odule to assign a directory to gv.directoryIn or\nb)open the globalVariables.py file and setgv.directoryIn to = None')

except NameError:
      print('NameError:\nbecause of the Syntax Error on import a NameError now occurs in the functions code\n'
               'To correct the SyntaxError above open the globalVariables.py file and do either of the solutions below\n'
               'a)make directoryIn = an empty string\nb)make directoryIn = None')

listCWD()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    listCWD()
However after running the returnFileList Module I now get the following result which is including the FileNotFoundError that would otherwise be found if the listCwd.py Module was run on its own. I hope ive expalined that correctly.
Python 3.7.4 (tags/v3.7.4:e09359112e, Jul  8 2019, 19:29:22) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> 
 RESTART: G:\2 Employment and Education\2 Education\2 Projects(All)\6 My Python Projects\MyPyProject\FileManagerProgram\1 Successfuly Tested\3 Working on - need to steeamline(22 09 19 9pm)\For Qs on Python Forum\returnFileList.py 
The os module has been imported
The globalVariables module has been imported
The returnCWD module has been imported
FileNotFoundError:
a List for the Directory gv.directoryIn cannnot be created
because the Global Variable gv.directoryIn is an empty string.
To correct this either:
a)run the returnCWD function in this Module to assign a directory to gv.directoryIn or
b)open the globalVariables.py file and setgv.directoryIn to = None
The listCWD module has been imported

The Current Working Directory is
 G:\2 Employment and Education\2 Education\2 Projects(All)\6 My Python Projects\MyPyProject\FileManagerProgram\1 Successfuly Tested\3 Working on - need to steeamline(22 09 19 9pm)\For Qs on Python Forum

returnCWD ran corrrectly

directoryList =
 ['globalVariables.py', 'listCWD.py', 'returnCWD.py', 'returnFileList.py', '__pycache__']
listCWD ran corrrectly

Messages In This Thread
When I import a Module it wont run - by PyNovice - Sep-22-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: When I import a Module it wont run - by buran - Oct-14-2019, 12:31 PM
RE: When I import a Module it wont run - by PyNovice - Oct-14-2019, 12:39 PM
RE: When I import a Module it wont run - by buran - Oct-14-2019, 03:28 PM
RE: When I import a Module it wont run - by buran - Oct-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is import cointegration_analysis a recognized module mitcht33 1 486 Nov-06-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Why wont this path work one way, but will the other way? cubangt 2 705 Sep-01-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: cubangt
  problem in import module from other folder akbarza 5 1,602 Sep-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  can not import anaconda pandas module. PySpark pandas module is imported!! aupres 0 760 Aug-06-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: aupres
  import module error tantony 5 3,587 Dec-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Lauraburmrs
  Import a module one step back of the path prathampatel9 1 1,117 Sep-21-2022, 01:34 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Import a module for use in type hint? Milosz 0 1,525 Nov-08-2021, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Milosz
  Can't install nor import delorean module Tek 3 2,880 Oct-27-2021, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Tek
  import module with syntax error Skaperen 7 5,436 Jun-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  'urllib3' Module not found when import 'requests' spanz 5 10,555 Jan-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: snippsat