Python Forum
Collection of programming ideas and challenges
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Collection of programming ideas and challenges
Program Idea for Semi-Beginners
This project assumes that you have a decent background knowledge is classes, file I/O and many other things. The idea is a Bank Database. Essentially each bank account owner will have a PRE-GENERATED account ID(12-digits long, all numerical) and a PIN they create them self. They can use this pin to make a deposit, make a withdrawal, and look at their transaction log.
If the user doesn't have a bank account, let them register one using some basic information you would have to provide if you were to set up a real bank account. (Name, DOB, SSN, create a PIN, generate account number). You want to make sure that the information the user gives is VALID.

Information Restrictions
  • Name is to be only Alphabetic
  • DOB is to be a valid date and over the age of 18
  • SSN is to be exactly 9 digits
  • PIN is to be user created and only 4 digits
  • Acct # is to be pre-generated using an algorithm. No 2 can be the same in the database.
When the user creates their account, all the information is to be saved into a file so the user can log back on to their account at a later date if they so chose to log back on. You can also ask for a starting amount for their account. I did the same and made the user pay a $25 charge. Obviously this couldn't be done in real life, but let's just pretend :)

In short, here is a list of things you need to do for this project:

1. Allow the user to be able to create an account with the bank
  2. Make sure the information they enter is valid
  3. Generate the account number for them by using an algorithm to do so.
  4. Store all the information in a file.
  5. Allow the user(s) to log in using their account # and PIN
  6. Allow the user(s) to make a Deposit, Withdrawal, and view transaction logs for their account
  7. Allow the user to log out of their account and be presented with the login screen again
  8. Allow the user to be able to quit from the program.
  9. (Optional) Make it look presentable.

I know as a beginner, it's hard to find something that is big enough to tackle, but not something overwhelming. This is a project that I came up with to really teach me about File I/O and moving data around different files, and it really helped. It also helps with learning OOP. Hopefully, this didn't seem to scattered around, I just wanted to get this out there!

~ Zombie Programming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Collection of programming ideas - by metulburr - Oct-04-2016, 03:21 AM
RE: Collection of programming ideas - by Skaperen - Oct-04-2016, 04:24 AM
RE: Collection of programming ideas - by ichabod801 - Oct-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Project Idea for Semi_Beginners - by Zombie_Programming - Jun-27-2018, 12:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minigame Collection with Menu textmonster404 1 3,421 Feb-20-2017, 02:11 AM
Last Post: metulburr