Python Forum
Relative import tool
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relative import tool
This is an interesting concept, though from first glance it seems like it might end up further complicating whichever projects you use it on. While it's nice to have more confidence that your imports will be imported, I can't help but imagine the potential complication of later trying to re-organize your project structure to then have explicit imports when, in most cases, you should just have organized it properly to begin with.

That being said I can also imagine cases where you may be working on scratch files and want to quickly gather some imports from the main project just to get a proof of concept, without having to re-arrange things. In that situation this could be pretty handy. So in my opinion this could be a useful tool for experimenting with things before locking in a concrete structure, but should of course be used as a tool for experimentation and not so much for lazy beginners who just don't feel like getting to know the proper structure of a python package. As long as that's clear to people, and it's used for it's intended purpose, then it's got it's benefits.

I think it's pretty neat that you've accomplished such a lenient way to gather that Foo you're looking for. I haven't gone into depth with the source but it's clearly functional so good job figuring it all out. Like I said my only concern is towards the potential it has to complicate a project if it's not used correctly, but I'm sure whoever uses it will be aware of that pitfall and will use it the right way. So hopefully I haven't entirely misunderstood, and that this is useful commentary on your work. Overall you've accomplished the finding of Foo and with that being your goal, congratulations on your success. I'm interested to hear what other peoples thoughts are too. Thanks for sharing.
MadisonAster and Gribouillis like this post

Messages In This Thread
Relative import tool - by MadisonAster - Oct-13-2020, 12:16 AM
RE: Relative import tool - by Atekka - Oct-14-2020, 08:46 PM
RE: Relative import tool - by MadisonAster - Oct-15-2020, 05:51 PM
RE: Relative import tool - by Gribouillis - Oct-16-2020, 05:02 AM
RE: Relative import tool - by MadisonAster - Oct-16-2020, 08:07 PM
RE: Relative import tool - by MadisonAster - Oct-18-2020, 03:27 AM