Python Forum
Efficient method to find phrase in string
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Efficient method to find phrase in string
I'm creating an application to automatically categorize personal financial transactions based on the description (I know some institutions do that already but not any of the ones I use). My thought on categorization is to use a preassigned list of key phrases and categories. Let's say there are n=6000 transactions and p=300 key phrase / category combinations. I don't want to have a nested loop that performs n*p phrase-in-phrase operations.

My current thinking using SQL terminology is to have a single loop of size p containing a query using a WHERE DESCRIPTION LIKE phrase. That way I only have a single loop that is only as big as the size of my key phrase list. Pandas probably has a similar capability.

Q1: Is there a more efficient approach than what I describe?

This morning I started creating the key phrase list. My goal is to be able to automatically categorize 90% of the transactions. After an hour I was only through the D's. This is turning out to be a far more difficult problem than I first thought. Example: AMERICAN could be Travel as in airlines or payment to AMERICAN EXPRESS credit card. For each phrase I'm contemplating I perform a sample search to see how good it captures the desired transactions, then adjust based on the result. This is turning out to be monumental task.

Q2: Any thoughts on how to create a good key phrase list?

Messages In This Thread
Efficient method to find phrase in string - by Tuxedo - Feb-22-2021, 10:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regex find string then return 10 character after it pyStund 6 1,608 Aug-04-2022, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Architecting Efficient Plot blipton 0 1,345 Jan-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Last Post: blipton
  material for OOP and efficient numrical programming paul18fr 0 2,104 Sep-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Last Post: paul18fr