Python Forum
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x
(Jun-16-2021, 12:50 AM)millpond Wrote: The problem is that some propellorheads decided that because Win7 is no longer 'supported' by M$, is that it is somehow a 'risk'!
I regard it as a feature.

This is classic example how to shoot yourself in the foot. You get free gift and then you start to make demands and calling names on people who provided it. Which leads to burn-out of maintainers and less open source code.

I strongly recommend to read Brett Cannon's The Social Contract of Open Source. Maybe it changes your attitude, maybe not.

Quote:Open source code is like me putting a stack of USB drives with my open source code on them on my front lawn with a sign that says "FREE", and you coming by and taking a USB drive when you want the latest copy of my open source code.

That's the actual, typical relationship I have with most users of my open source code: I push out a new commit, you use it, and we never speak to each other.

With this example in mind, do you think it is reasonable to go up to my front door, knock, and then proceed to yell at me if you didn't like the software you chose to pick up off of my front yard for free? 🤨 How about leaving an angry letter in my mailbox? Or a flaming bag of 💩 on my doorstep? Or standing in the middle of the street in my town and yelling about how much you hate my software? This is what it's like when you email me angrily, open an issue in anger, or complain loudly on the internet. Does any of that seem reasonable? To me, this actually ranges from rude to unethical.

Remember that I didn't force you to take the software. The act of taking the software was done under free agency, so getting mad about the free gift of some open source code that you chose to take seems to be more your own problem than mine; you are totally capable of using that free agency again and stop using the source code.

There is also Alpha chipset example which can be used to put W7 support into perspective.
Gribouillis and buran like this post
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Messages In This Thread
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x - by millpond - Jun-16-2021, 12:50 AM
RE: What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x - by perfringo - Jun-18-2021, 08:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a project i am thinking about Skaperen 0 1,439 Mar-11-2020, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  a script i am thinking about creating Skaperen 2 2,720 Feb-28-2018, 02:18 AM
  a program i have been thinking about Skaperen 0 2,587 Jun-25-2017, 04:44 AM