Python Forum
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x
@ndc
Nobody is even remotely suggensting that anyone 'support' Win7. Python *should* be fairly independent of quirks within OS versions. Win7 has a very similar architecture to 10, without alot of extraneous garbage.
Has there been any 'costs' to the developers in folks using v3.8 on Win7? Then why 3.9, where a particular library was chosen to be incompatible.
'Security Issues' is the official reasonm but the Win platform is full of them - and never seemed to be a problem in the past.

I've been using Linux since alpha 0.9, from a BBS.
Over the years I have lost functionality for a number of utilities and even scripts, and permissions issues are an incessant annoyance. Especially with apps that wont run under a rooted account, when I have some damn good reasons to run as root.

I dont have that problem with Win. Once hacked I rarely run into permissions issues, and its usually possible to run under the System account. This is not a production machine, and I have my own security protocols.
On a year on average I spend about 30 minutes battling Win malware.
In Linux Its about 5-20 hours troubleshooting permissions issues.

@perf
Indeed, beggars cant be choosers.
If that is indeed the attitude of the developers to the community, it will be well noted.
Its one thing to go to a barbecue and get annoyed if your request for sushi is ignore. And another to be denied entrance simply because you arrived in an old car.
Guest, of course have no rights, and hosts no obligations.

NB: The developers will do as they will. I know this. My only hope was that someone had dione a hack of the dll as was done for Blender(but includes the function Python is looking for).

Or else simply wait for Cygwin to move to 3.9 (and hopefully wont sabotage the Win7 system there too).

Messages In This Thread
What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x - by millpond - Jun-16-2021, 12:50 AM
RE: What WERE They Thinking : Python 3.9x - by millpond - Jun-19-2021, 09:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a project i am thinking about Skaperen 0 1,439 Mar-11-2020, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  a script i am thinking about creating Skaperen 2 2,721 Feb-28-2018, 02:18 AM
  a program i have been thinking about Skaperen 0 2,587 Jun-25-2017, 04:44 AM