Python Forum
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
(Jan-11-2018, 06:33 PM)metulburr Wrote: I do have all my electronics on surge protectors, but maybe a UPS would be a good idea in conjunction with it.

Sure, it's what I do. Just don't plug a UPS into a surge protector or vice versa. As for monitor vs TV, I think is a matter of taste. Like you, I watch all my streaming media on a monitor with sound coming from the computer as well. My personal view is that today's HDTV's provide too much resolution to the point of either being annoying or verging on painful. So for me, a monitor is just fine and dandy.

I don't think there is any empirical data out there that definitively states the case for or against the power issue. It usually boils down to personal experience. If you live in an area with frequent power outages and/or brown-outs (which I do), I'd say turn the power off when not in use. If you don't suffer those conditions or are running through a UPS, leave it on.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Messages In This Thread
RE: To keep electronics on or off for longevity - by sparkz_alot - Jan-11-2018, 09:38 PM