Python Forum
New to Python and programming, need some mentoring!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Python and programming, need some mentoring!
Hello Everyone! My name is Bogdan and I'm a 31 yo getting into programming. I've studied a bit of programming in school (C++ and Borland Pascal) but ever since then I've been working in Supply Chain and Sales. I've remained a bit technical (working on excel automation projects through VBA and a bit of SQL) but nothing close to programming.

Recently(for about 6 weeks) I've started learning Python. Why? At first I was looking for a bit of fun with a general purposed language, but in time I would like to reach a semi-professional stage where I could start applying for jobs in IT.

I started off with Codecademy courses and after finishing those I stumbled across CodeWars. You can check some of my code on my Codewars profile, just to see the level where I am at now. Codewars has been fun but now I hit a big wall. Codewars hasn't really allowed me to learn anything new, just to freely exercise what I already learned through Codecademy. It's a great resource to learn more efficient ways of programming while solving a certain problem, no doubt about it, but I need to start heading towards a more "real world use" not just theoretical stuff (a lot of my programming buddies have told me so). I've seen these even on Codewars where the challenges start getting more complex and closer to the real-world stuff...I have no idea on how to solve these challenges, and the platform doesn't guide you, as it's usually based on what you already know. And here is where I need a little bit of mentoring. I'm looking for to moment to specialize in Python and not yet go to other programming languages, so that would mean back-end development (as I have been told). I'm also looking forward to learning more about classes and working with files. Could you help me with a bit of guidance? Where can I go to next to deepen my knowledge (I learn best by doing)? What should I specialize in? Are there any open-source projects on which I newcomer like myself can work on in order to keep on learning?

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you guys!

Messages In This Thread
New to Python and programming, need some mentoring! - by ViBogdan - Apr-10-2018, 09:34 AM