Python Forum
What to do after learning python basics
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do after learning python basics
I am new to programming. I am currently learning python and have been using numerous sources to learn. As my main aim was to use python for automation, my main source has been the udemy course Automate the boring stuff with python along with the text book for exercises.

However, I have come across a few problems. I am learning to create programs. For example I have learnt how to make a web scraper. The problem is, I know how to make one but I dont fully understand it. Like i know to use the beautiful soup module and I know what functions to import as the course/books tell me. But i dont fully understand. Like if i was to create a program completely different. How do i know what modules to use and what functions are in that module that i could use? On the course it tells you what functions to use but the thing is, if i didnt watch the video, how would i know what function to use. It doesn't tell you where you can find the functions and use what you need. Although this is the only flaw in a really good book i have to say, I have learnt a lot from this course but this part i seem to struggle with and it seems to be the same with other courses i have tried.

I want to be a programmer that will be given a problem and i know how to create a solution. Like i will know exactly what module to use, what functions are in that module that i will need etc. For now i am just learning to make an app for a problem the course provides me but i dont know how i would be able to alter it to tailor my own circumstances. I want to be able to understand everything that I am writing.

I know that this will only come with experience, but i just need to get the ball rolling. I have seen loads of similar questions on the internet and the majority of them say to just build as many applications as you can. However, actually doing this is a little more daunting if you dont understand it properly.

So my main question is for you is when you first started programming regardless of what language it was, is how did you break through the barrier that is holding me back at the moment. Like what did you do after learning the syntax , what did you build own your own, how did you get there, how did you know what modules/functions to use and how do you understand fully what you are actually doing rather than just learning a method to a specific problem and apply those to different problems?

Thanks
The "do as many project as possible" still holds, but I'll add to a bit. Pick projects which are similar to things you've already done, so that you can adapt code that is similar instead of having too much else to figure out. There's also a component of trial-and-error. If you don't know how to do part of a project, you'll use Google, Stackoverflow, and other resources, and eventually you might need to ask someone (likely here). Also, sometimes the module you need doesn't already exist, so you'll have to learn that new thing enough to create that module yourself; I had a project like that early on, didn't realize it, and never did it (I know how I would do it now, but no longer have any use of the project).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learned Python Basics, what now? muzikman 20 5,857 Oct-11-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Underscore
  PYserial basics? bako 10 5,023 Apr-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  [split] Debugging scripts basics tultalk 5 3,018 Apr-25-2020, 01:02 AM
Last Post: menator01
  Debugging scripts basics bako 8 3,420 Apr-24-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Problem with basics Wraith2102 2 1,962 Jun-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Dictionary Basics pythonjm 5 3,473 Nov-26-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: pythonjm
  [Python Basics] How To Handle Data For This Project? digitalmatic7 3 3,440 Nov-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Last Post: digitalmatic7
  I finsh the basics of python but I'm stuck on how to link code to GUI Qubayel 5 4,298 Apr-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Ofnuts
  Python basics about __init__ and return statement wk14 5 5,923 Oct-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: micseydel