Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cmon Windows...

You have full access to when I'm logged into the computer, AS WELL as when I normally startup/shutdown the computer.  You shouldn't have to make me set the "active hours"... you should already know them.
how can i do this in the linux?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Dec-10-2016, 06:00 AM)Skaperen Wrote: how can i do this in the linux?
You don't need to. From time to time, Linux just politely suggests that you reboot at your convenience. These last three words are a totally alien concept in the Windows community.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Before Microsoft, windows is what Unix X was referred to, but not by Bell Labs, instead by the loving users of the OS.
Shouldn't you expect something like this message by the company who stole the Unix moniker?
Do ever actually NEED to restart a linux box, though? Unless you're updating the kernel, any updates should take effect with a simple log out/log in, and maybe restarting X, right?
(Dec-12-2016, 03:47 PM)nilamo Wrote: Do ever actually NEED to restart a linux box, though?  Unless you're updating the kernel, any updates should take effect with a simple log out/log in, and maybe restarting X, right?

Plenty of things (services...) run in the background and aren't stopped/restarted when the user logs off. Of course if you know which ones have been updated you can restart them... if they aren't used. And sometimes what has been updated is a core library so you would have to restart them all.

And the kernel receives regular security fixes: in my /boot I have a level-101 kernel from 2016/11/10 and a level-105 from 2016/12/06. This is roughly a new kernel every week...

But it's true that for servers, the current aim of Linux development is to be able to upgrade the kernel without requiring a reboot.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
I used to work at a place where we had roughly 8 servers in house, and they were only rebooted once per year, while updates were installed constantly. But then again, updating apache/openssl frequently means the only thing you need to follow that up with was "httpd restart". I guess I had just assumed the same was true for the linux desktop world.
Not updating the kernel is burying one's head the sand. Kernel vulnerabilities are regularly discovered:

https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/
$ shutdown -r 3:00
This will reboot the machine at 3:00am
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Dec-12-2016, 03:47 PM)nilamo Wrote: Do ever actually NEED to restart a linux box, though?  Unless you're updating the kernel, any updates should take effect with a simple log out/log in, and maybe restarting X, right?

for people like me, rebooting can sometimes be a convenience.

i know a guy who can fix up most issues in a running MS Windows he has Administrator rights on, without rebooting. i bet he "just reboots" out of convenience, often.

for common people whether they are using MS Windows or Linux (any distro, with or w/o X), rebooting may be all they know how to do.

re-installing has similar aspects in cases when rebooting fails.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.