Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Spyder text editor?
I'm getting used to Spyder, having given up on Visual Studio. Being a student of Python, I'd like to have a lightweight text editor right there in the IDE to make notes. Does anyone know of a plugin text editor? I use TextPad for complex editing and Notepad for everything else but juggling windows is a pain.

tcebob
Notepad ++ is okay as lightweight editor.
Fancier,but also good editors Atom - Sublime Text.

Quote:I'm getting used to Spyder, having given up on Visual Studio.
Yes Spyder is an okay editor,
you could also look into PyCharm there is an Free Community edition(is full featured).

As student using jupyter notebook can help,
here you can have text mixed with code.
Can as eg make nbview document like this.
Look at my post here,
an easy way to get Jupyter trough Anaconda.
I have never used Jupyter notebook, but the site Snipsat points out makes me want to try it out, that's very cool!
Yes Jupyter notebook is great,it started out as IPython notebook(just Python).
Now it work for over 40 languages.

Books are been written with it as a example here.
I have written a version 99 bottles on the wall.
Here with 5 bottles  Cool
Slick!
I read all replies with interest. Tried PyCharm. Will give Jupyter notebook a shot. If anyone has a thought about adding a text editor to Spyder, please share it.
tcebob
Geany is another editor you can use.

Jupyterlab is the next in the line. The fun starts at 8:20 of the video. Former Jupyter Notebook is turning into something awesome.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Folks, you have been very forthcoming in responding. But no one has come up with a way to add a text editor to Spyder. So I'll assume that it can't be done and get on with my life.
tcebob
Wavic, I downloaded Geany and so far I like it. Not strong on console; uses cmd interface. But loads quick and formats python just fine. And it has a Scribble area for taking notes. Someday I will figure out how to save them. Thanks for the tip.
tcebob
I am using it sometimes for a plain text edotor. I use "Save us" to save text files.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning Python. Which is a good text editor for MacOS? birb 4 3,271 Feb-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Larz60+