Python Forum
long computer use posture
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
long computer use posture
I have been having issues sitting at the computer for extended periods of time. Maybe i am getting older Naughty . Whenever i sit at the computer for 15-20 minutes my back aches and feels like someone is pushing my back forward. I use to be able to sit here for hours, or even days. It really has put a hampering on anything programming wise, and makes we wonder about doing a computer job at all. I dont think i could go into this field anymore thinking that i would have to sit even longer at such positions.

I know there is considered a proper position to sit, but how many of us really do that? My normal posture is to lean forward slightly. This is improper, but i cant sit straight up, its very uncomfortable. I often will have to go lay down on a couch to recover every so often if sitting at the computer for long periods. The only time i can ever handle long period is to ditch the chair completely. I connect to the TV, and use a recliner with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What do other programmers do? Have you noticed a change as you get older? Does proper posture actually help and does anyone actually sit like a straight vertical board that is suppose to be ergonomically friendly? IF so do you slump back into your old posture?
Recommended Tutorials:
I don't know if I have proper posture, but I noticed a huge change switching chairs. I used to work with a random chair I got at Sam's Club. Cushions and arm rests, but nothing adjustable at all. And being tall, that my legs could not get the recommended right angle bend. More and more I was noticing back pain while programming. I finally went out and paid the dough for a nice office chair. I got a fully adjustable one with a mesh back and seat. Now that I'm retired I sit in it all day long, no problems.

Another thing I believe is that back pain is often because your back is weak. I had a lot less back pain when I started actually exercising, especially upper body weight training. And I'm not talking about becoming a body building, I'm just talking about exercising the muscles.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Wait 40 years, it goes away.
As ichabod suggested the pain in the back may be remedied by more ergonomic chair with some support at the back.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

ive had the same chair for 8 years. But ive only the past year or so noticed a difference. Its a steel chair with cushions that i switched to after going through a number of broken office chairs.
Recommended Tutorials:
In my humble opinion, Leather is best and worth the cost.
(Sep-20-2018, 11:17 AM)metulburr Wrote: ive had the same chair for 8 years. But ive only the past year or so noticed a difference.
Poor ergonomics take time to set in. You might not notice a constant slight strain, but after doing it for years you'll start feeling these kinds of effects.
Stand up desk is the key (to me).
Stand up desk, gel pad to stand on, and Gaiam chair.
I've been using that chair for about 25 years now.
And I stand up more then I sit.
Just my 2 cents.
Phil
A little more money for a good ergonomic chair and a desk with adjustable height to spare your hands and shoulders. Exercises. I don't know what else could be helpful. Painkillers are not an option.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Sep-23-2018, 09:31 AM)wavic Wrote: Painkillers are not an option.

How about this?
CBD

Idea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Masters of Computer Engineering Vs Computer Science AndyB 9 5,578 May-11-2018, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Skaperen