Python Forum
3D data mapper with data labels using python modules
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D data mapper with data labels using python modules
Hello python community,

I'm an enthusiastic but novice python coder and I would like to build a simple 3D data mapper in python 3.

This data mapper is suppoed to visualize different kind of data (as text) on a grid of QUAD and TRIANGLE cells in an interactive 3D GUI. Just like a simple FE model.

I have no experience with 3D graphics. After several days of internet research I am still not sure which python module (Tkinter, vtk, VisPy, PyOpenGL, Pyglet, PyGame, Mayavi, etc...) and which approach would be the easiest and best for this Job. I considered vtk as an appropriate visualization toolkit, but I have difficulties to find a good begginers documentation. And I'm not sure if vtk is the best module to use.

Functionality:
I have the following functionalities in mind:
1. read in a simple (comma separated) input file with the coordinates of the vertices and the cells and the data to be presented
2. build the grid of vertices and cells
3. map the selected data (from drop down menu) to the cells
4. interactively move and rotate the grid
5. pick one or more cells with the mouse to assign the selected cells to a group

I would appreciate any advice and recommendation!

Thanks and best regards,
Lemon

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyQt] How to update selected data in combobox displaying DB data? JokerSob 3 3,377 Aug-02-2021, 04:39 AM
Last Post: JokerSob
  [Tkinter] modify the html table to include data from tkinter labels rwahdan 0 1,590 Jun-20-2021, 10:33 AM
Last Post: rwahdan