Python Forum
idea intermediate python programmer
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
idea intermediate python programmer
I'm looking for an idea to write a new intermediate level program. I've already written some games (tetris, minesweeper,...) but I'm looking for something more complex (with inheritance, decorators,...) All the ideas I end up with have a lot of GUI work and I'd like to avoid that.
The goal of the programs is to improve my programming skills and create a portfolio in order to find a job.

Thanks in advance
My recommendation would be to pick almost any game and REALLY finish it. Whether it is Tetris, Space Invaders, Snake, whatever.

If you really finish the game it will require you to build a state machine which will teach you all about inheritance and object orientation. By finished I mean everything you would really expect a game to have. Title screen, Menu, highscores, customizable controls, etc.

Here is a Tetris-like I made years ago for an idea:
https://github.com/Mekire/double-cross

Here is a larger project that I never managed to build interest in but might interest you if you want to contribute to something:
https://github.com/reddit-pygame/Python_Arcade_Collab
It is a hub for arcade style games which allows contributors to add their own games fairly easily (hopefully). It should also give you an idea how to organize a significantly larger project.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interviewing beginner and intermediate Python coders pompi 1 2,007 Sep-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Vased1973
  How to Hire a Python Programmer? It's hard because I don't know pythonforumuser 1 1,661 Feb-10-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Beginner/Intermediate Tips Ex_database 1 2,014 Sep-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  What makes a good programmer? j.crater 5 3,727 Dec-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Larz60+