Python Forum
Is Python used to make popular games that you can play on the Xbox or PlayStation
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Python used to make popular games that you can play on the Xbox or PlayStation
Hi,

Do games like "Hearthstone" and "World of Warcraft" made by Blizzard Entertainment use Python?? Is Python used to make popular games that you can play on the Xbox or PlayStation??
I know there are games in Steam that use solely python. xbox and PS probably use c# or c++ with Unity for the most part. However there are probably scripting languages integrated.
Recommended Tutorials:
What do you mean by "scripting languages integrated"?
(Dec-18-2018, 01:30 AM)metulburr Wrote: I know there are games in Steam that use solely python. xbox and PS probably use c# or c++ with Unity for the most part. However there are probably scripting languages integrated.

That's interesting. Could you name a few titles? Or post a source of a list of Python games perhaps.
(Dec-18-2018, 08:01 PM)ironsheep Wrote: What do you mean by "scripting languages integrated"?

Python is a scripting language; used to aid programs at times. AAA games are often not solely one single programming language.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Dec-18-2018, 08:03 PM)j.crater Wrote:
(Dec-18-2018, 01:30 AM)metulburr Wrote: I know there are games in Steam that use solely python. xbox and PS probably use c# or c++ with Unity for the most part. However there are probably scripting languages integrated.
That's interesting. Could you name a few titles? Or post a source of a list of Python games perhaps.
There was one, but i cant think of the name. The other was Dark Gates. I know that one is because i was talking to the developer at some point about him making it in Pygame and Python. Im not really fond of that game, the author put not much animation in it. It doesnt really show of the potential for pygame/python. But he did however get the game all the way to marketplace.

I think pyweek games shows what can really be done with python game-wise. However not many of these games make it to the market in front of people on the players end. And some of them dont even get finished due to it being a competition.
Recommended Tutorials:
I clicked on the link for that "Dark Gates" game you inserted in your response. I agree not alot of animation, but when I talk about games I mean games like "Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor" or the "Marvel vs Capcom" game series or "Mortal Kombat." Or how about a really old game called "Primal Rage". I ask these questions because is it possible to make a video game all by yourself at home. If you don't know what "Primal Rage" is, type onto Google, "Primal Rage the Video Game"(Not the 2018 movie).

I can enjoy making a game like that for myself!!!!!!
Most console programming—game programming in general—is done against third party tools called middleware. ... You can use C++ for development or you can program your entire game using their scripting language. Unity uses C# and runs on Xbox, PS4, iOS, android, Mac, and PC.
There are a lot of games now a days that are made made by a single person or just a few people that 10-20 years ago would of been a AAA game. I was just reading about Door kickers being made by one full timer developer and every so often a couple part timer developers. I love this game. I cant wait for door kickers 2 to come out. But because there is only 1 developer mainly, and that he took a break for a couple years, its going to take what seems like an eternity for 2 to come out.

3d models you can create by using things like blender. Im quoting the following because i pulled it off the net from googleing around.

Quote:Eve Online is probably the biggest, and uses Stackless Python, a lightweight, microthreaded version of Python. And Civilization IV had a Python interpreter built-in, but I'm not sure if that was for scripting only, or how much of the game was written in it.

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean was written using the Panda3d game engine (which allows both Python and C++ scripting, but from googling it - Disney used Python). The engine is in C++, but then again, the Python interpreter itself also uses a lot of C code.

The original version of Galcon was in pure Python, though it has long since been ported to other languages (at last count there were Obj-C, Flash, and C++ versions). It does still use Python for AI via the TinyPy library, but I suppose that is "just scripting".

Frets on Fire is the only "native Python" game I can think of that achieved some degree of lasting fame.

For a long list of games:
Python Games

Python can do i believe all of those games you listed. It would take a single developer a phenomenal amount of time. Especially if they are just learning the initial steps of game making.

For a hello world example (i guess you would call it) in panda3d engine, install the library to run the following code to see.

pip install panda3d

from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
from direct.task import Task
from math import pi, sin, cos
from direct.actor.Actor import Actor
from direct.interval.IntervalGlobal import Sequence
from panda3d.core import Point3

class MyApp(ShowBase):

def __init__(self):
        ShowBase.__init__(self)

self.scene = self.loader.loadModel("environment")
        self.scene.reparentTo(self.render)
        self.scene.setScale(0.25, 0.25, 0.25)
        self.scene.setPos(-8, 42, 0)

self.taskMgr.add(self.spinCameraTask, "SpinCameraTask")

self.pandaActor = Actor("panda-model", {"walk": "panda-walk4"})
        self.pandaActor.setScale(0.005, 0.005, 0.005)
        self.pandaActor.reparentTo(self.render)
        self.pandaActor.loop("walk")

pandaPosInterval1 = self.pandaActor.posInterval(13,
                                                        Point3(0, -10, 0),
                                                        startPos=Point3(0, 10, 0))
        pandaPosInterval2 = self.pandaActor.posInterval(13,
                                                        Point3(0, 10, 0),
                                                        startPos=Point3(0, -10, 0))
        pandaHprInterval1 = self.pandaActor.hprInterval(3,
                                                        Point3(180, 0, 0),
                                                        startHpr=Point3(0, 0, 0))
        pandaHprInterval2 = self.pandaActor.hprInterval(3,
                                                        Point3(0, 0, 0),
                                                        startHpr=Point3(180, 0, 0))

self.pandaPace = Sequence(pandaPosInterval1,
                                  pandaHprInterval1,
                                  pandaPosInterval2,
                                  pandaHprInterval2,
                                  name="pandaPace")
        self.pandaPace.loop()

def spinCameraTask(self, task):
        angleDegrees = task.time * 6.0
        angleRadians = angleDegrees * (pi / 180.0)
        self.camera.setPos(20 * sin(angleRadians), -20.0 * cos(angleRadians), 3)
        self.camera.setHpr(angleDegrees, 0, 0)
        return Task.cont

app = MyApp()
app.run()
and the environment can look a lot better
http://www.panda3d.org/screens.php

However with some of the games, you wouldnt even need panda3d library. Pygame could handle the 2d games well enough such as mortal combat. I believe you also can implement 3d models into it (although i have gotten that far as to say for sure).
Recommended Tutorials:
So to make a game at home I would need to continue studying Python, Blender, and how to do animation in Photoshop, right??

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Library or website for multiplayer games Flask/Python drimades 1 5,185 Nov-07-2021, 06:45 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  I can not play mp3 in pygame vinicius 4 5,135 Feb-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SeabassG33
  Fun games to help with Low_Ki_ 2 4,095 May-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Low_Ki_
  Can a player play game created with Python without installing Python? hsunteik 3 5,287 Feb-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Larz60+