Python Forum
Choice of GUI implementation
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choice of GUI implementation
I do not want to start a religious war, just want to avoid a lot of time on the wrong path. I am new to Python but not to programming - this is somewhere around my 20th language, give or take, with different variations. Most recently was using Java via Netbeans for development. Favorite language all time Delphi (Pascal variant).

I wrote a proof of concept app using Tkinter and was not really happy with the output. I'm sure I could learn more and fix things. I did the same proof of concept app (a Body Mass Index calculator, uses 2 input boxes, a button, and output a value) using WxPython and a designer program (WxGlade). Came out better. Here I see a lot more questions on TkInter than I do WxPython, don't want to pursue a path that is dying.

My programming is typically database front ends, simple input and output without a lot of graphics, uses text boxes, grids, and buttons.

So, what in the wisdom of those in this forum, is the best GUI platform for me to use, given how I design, background, etc. I do like to design using a designer rather than doing everything in code (recognizing it all ends up being code in the end).

Thanks to all.
JAS
WxPython comes with a lot more widgets as standard than tkinter.
tkinter doesn't need to be installed.
tkinter probably gets more questions as its included with python.
Designer programs can only get you so far, if you want to make full use, hand coding is better.
If you prefer designers and they achieve what you want at the moment, go for it.
Thanks. Since my usual installations are one off custom applications, I can configure Python as I like for them (as long as it isn't too painful). If I were writing something for widespread distribution I might prefer Tkinter, but sounds like WxPython may fit my more common one-off needs.