Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big app in python
i am trying to convince my nephew to learn python.   he's been asking some things about python and we came to this point.  what is the biggest, or a very big, application program (but not a web app) that is written in python?  this would be something that its user starts, but infrequently quits, as opposed to a command line shell command (because it exits frequently).  he's wondering how well python manages memory in long running programs.

edit:

i think he wants to see an app that is doing a GUI interface with the user and not a server thing (and not something doing client/server although it can use a DB).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software

I have left Deluge up and running torrents for months and months. Blender,. Civ4, Battlefield 2, Unity of Command, DropBox, etc. I can leave a game written in pygame up indefinitely, etc.
Recommended Tutorials:
Python's long-term memory management should be superior to languages like C/C++ and Java. This comes at a price, that Python is constantly reference counting, but in C/C++ any accidental memory leaks will persist for the life of the program, and Java... is complicated, but Python will excel in this specific way.

The desktop software I use is written partly in Python (according to Github, ~45% Javascript, ~33% C and ~20% Python).

Why does he care about those specific points? He is interested in programming? Any projects in mind?
(Feb-10-2017, 03:46 AM)micseydel Wrote: Why does he care about those specific points? He is interested in programming? Any projects in mind?
he wants an example that shows python is a serious language to go with.  he does java, now.  i am trying to get him to help out on my (commercial) cloud service project (a smart VPN) and many of the other contract projects i do (about half/half C/python, now).

i'm going to show him blender.  i think that's a serious enough app.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quotes about Python
Awesome Python
There was some discussion about this in this post 

What languages is most used on GitHub GitHut 2.0
Python has a good second place,
there is no hiding that web is a important platform.
JavaScripts has got a hold on client side in browser,
even though Python is a better language.
A good mix can be Python as main language,
and mix in JavaScripts when doing web programming.

Scientific computing here is Python is really big.
Notebooks is good way to show some work that is been done.
(Feb-10-2017, 06:21 AM)Skaperen Wrote: he wants an example that shows python is a serious language to go with.  he does java, now.

Java is not "serious", it is complicated and all the Java eco-system overdesigns things. (and "Java" is one of the first words in my resume...)
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
he currently works on software that does automation of machinery.  most recently a project involved adding a new safety feature to a system that drills initial fracking wells.  this stuff is done in java and c# on windows.  he is telling me about some major shutdowns caused by out of memory issues.  he is looking for alternatives to do (too much political bs that he wants to get away from).  i think i can convince him to work on my personal project if i can convince him that python is the way to go.  i think we will be getting together this weekend.  i will tell him about blender.

(Feb-10-2017, 10:54 AM)Skaperen Wrote: he currently works on software that does automation of machinery.  most recently a project involved adding a new safety feature to a system that drills initial fracking wells.  this stuff is done in java and c# on windows.  he is telling me about some major shutdowns caused by out of memory issues.  he is looking for alternatives to do (too much political bs that he wants to get away from).  i think i can convince him to work on my personal project if i can convince him that python is the way to go.  i think we will be getting together this weekend.  i will tell him about blender.

Maybe his problem is more with Windows than with Java...

Another things to add is that Python is the language used in very many Raspberry Pi applications, and memory leaks show up rather quickly in a RPi.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Feb-10-2017, 01:20 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: he is telling me about some major shutdowns caused by out of memory issues.

I would think that is the least of fracking's issues
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Well, as I know half of the Linux system is running on Perl and Python scripts. 90% of the internet servers runs Linux. Portage, the Gentoo package system is Python.
Battlefield 2 uses Python a lot.
Python can be used as a scripting language for lots of applications: Gimp, Amarok, Blender, Rhythmbox, Houdini and Modo.
This is what I know.

What I have found:
NASA is using Python to implement a CAD/CAE/PDM repository and model management, integration, and transformation system which will be the core infrastructure for its next-generation collaborative engineering environment.
Reddit was rewritten in Python in 2005.
YouTube uses Python "to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers".
Python is heavily involved in Eve.
Instagram, Spotify
Facebook uses Python but not know what for
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org