Python Forum
Can Cmder be used to write Python programs?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!

Because at the moment, I'm using the Python 3.7.4 Shell, clicking on the 'File' drop menu, and selecting 'New File', where I write the program, I give it a name, and I save it there. But I run the programs in Cmder.

I would like to know if there is a way to write and save the programs in Cmder, and then run them on the same Cmder. In that way, it would be much quicker, and consistent throughout the process.

All the best,
newbieAuggie2019

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
Steve Jobs
You should install an IDE, it makes programming so much easier
My recommendation is VSCode free, runs on any platform, and is excellent
To properly install and get started, see: https://python-forum.io/Thread-VS-Code-f...ght=VSCode
I agree with Larz60+ - one should use IDE and in VS Code you can assign keyboard shortcut to run a file which is pretty consistent process in my opinion.

Said that there are terminal based text editors (Emacs, Vim) which can be used to write into file from terminal. For example one can open emacs in no-window mode in terminal with: “emacs -nw”.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
Quote:Can Cmder be used to write Python programs?
No,it's better shell(not editor) than cmd/Powershell.
I do small code testing with the combination cmder and ptpython
So a better REPL that can write code in or copy in code to,ptpython also save all you do automatic to look(F3).
[Image: LVzvRt.png]
I also have set cmder as Terminal in VS Code,but doing testing i like better cmder alone with ptpython.
I often start from cmder with code .(start VS Code from folder you are in),then have both open.
So this is a setup i like like,you have to experiment to find something that work for you.
[Image: FFKBa5.png]
I guess you could use vi in Cmder.
Before you search the command to exit vi: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1182...vim-editor
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
(Sep-29-2019, 03:13 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: You should install an IDE, it makes programming so much easier
My recommendation is VSCode free, runs on any platform, and is excellent
To properly install and get started, see: https://python-forum.io/Thread-VS-Code-f...ght=VSCode

(Sep-29-2019, 05:18 AM)perfringo Wrote: I agree with Larz60+ - one should use IDE and in VS Code you can assign keyboard shortcut to run a file which is pretty consistent process in my opinion.

(Sep-29-2019, 10:18 AM)snippsat Wrote: I also have set cmder as Terminal in VS Code,but doing testing i like better cmder alone with ptpython.
I often start from cmder with code .(start VS Code from folder you are in),then have both open.
[ ... ],you have to experiment to find something that work for you.

(Sep-29-2019, 10:23 AM)DeaD_EyE Wrote: I guess you could use vi in Cmder.

Thanks a lot to all of you!

I've installed Visual Studio Code (VS Code), but now I need to learn how to do all the twists and tweaks to make it work for me. This time I think I'm going to take it slower, because it seems that I'm using most of my time looking for a coding environment, instead of coding itself, that it should be my priority at the moment.

All the best,
newbieAuggie2019

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
Steve Jobs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  python --version yields no output, not detected by other programs ten 3 3,367 Jun-25-2020, 04:48 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  Launching other programs from Python Truman 4 2,891 Feb-14-2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Truman
  Beginner Help - Geany and Cmder Pogosaur 2 3,152 Oct-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Pogosaur
  [Help] List of Lists not printing both Cmder/Anaconda? vanicci 4 3,512 Aug-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Last Post: vanicci
  Executing DOS programs within Python mdsi2000 4 3,858 Mar-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: mdsi2000
  Issue with Python 3.X Add/Remove programs entry. WilliamM 1 3,125 Feb-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sparkz_alot