Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Programs made with Python
Hello,

This question isn't about any specific piece of code, or about any specific issue I am currently having in python.
I simply wanted to start up a discussion that I think would be very beneficial to people (like myself) that are fairly new to Python.
And I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum.  I didn't see anything that really fit this topic - but feel free to move it if necessary.

So.........
What are some real world applications of Python?

I've seen it all over the internet, and I'm sure you have too - the person on forums that is blasting Python for being an impractical language for doing anything practical.
It's too slow, it doesn't have that obscure language feature that I use all the time, it can't do xyz, etc...

Instead of bickering over what Python can't do, I'd love to see a forum thread that celebrates everything Python can do!

I invite you all to share your success stories.
What programs have you made?  For fun, for work, for study - whatever...  If it was made in Python, I want to hear about it.

Thank you all in advance for this slice of Python inspiration!
Things I have used Python for:

• Professionally:
    • Web server log analysis: typically, read tens of megabytes (sometimes gigabytes) of server logs, identify specific lines, check that states change in the order given in specs, check delays between state changes. In some cases, correlate with the log contents of another server.
    • Build/install/deploy applications on these same servers.
    • Issue REST calls to servers to obtain data or provision data (once, due to bad management, duplication of effort: them: 2 people, three days, over a thousand lines of Java, me, a couple of hours, 200 lines of Python).
    • Various little functions for computations I do often.
  • Hobby:
    • Enhance my PC.
    • Scripts for Gimp, the image editor.
    • Various scripts to automate operations on web sites (for instance, Reddit statistics).
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Quote:What are some real world applications of Python?
There are many some you may use daily eg YouTube,Dropbox,Spotify.
There are mix of technology/languages in these,but Python has the biggest part.
Quote:YouTube.com
"Python is fast enough for our site and allows us to produce maintainable features in record times,
with a minimum of developers," said Cuong Do, Software Architect, YouTube.com.

Quote:At Spotify the main two places we use Python are backend services and data analysis.
Python has a habit of turning up in other random places,as most of our developers are happy programming in it.
Spotify’s backend consists of many interdependent services,
connected by own messaging protocol over ZeroMQ. Around 80% of these services are written in Python.

DropBox is almost all Python.
The also have employee like Guido van Rossum creator of Python.
Quote:Dropbox and Python
99.9 % of their code is in Python. Used on the server backend; desktop client, website controller logic, API backend, and analytics.
Can't use Python on the Android due to memory constraints.
Runs on a single code base using Python. Dropbox runs on Windows, Mac, Linux using tools like PyObjs, WxPython, types, py2exe, py2app, PyWin32.

Patreon did a big change trowing out all PHP code :cool:
The whole web-site was rewritten in Flask and Python 3.
You can listen to podcast about this here.
Moving from PHP to Python 3 with Patreon
The biggest use of Python I've made at work was a survey some idiots in another division did. They sent out the survey questions as an email, and collected the email responses. But since the responses were emails, none of them were in the same format. In order to do any analysis on the answers, I had to write a Python program to go through each email, try and determine the format it was in, and then try and extract the answers. I also use it to run my SAS programs. I run the SAS programs through a Python script that captures the results, parses the output, and highlights any problems in the log. It's a huge help with debugging SAS programs.

At home I've written a solitaire program that I've played thousands of games on. I also extracted a collection of 1,200 poker variants stored in separate old school HTML files, convert them to MediaWiki format, and upload them to my new web site. The next step is to put all the variants in a MySQL database. Currently I'm working on a program to read all my poetry so I can track it better, and output it in a more consistent format.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Quote:What programs have you made?
Many mostly small project of all kind,unfinished is the biggest part :-/ 

wx_nrk to get content for Norwegian television.
The system is drag-drop from browser to a GUI made in WxPython.
Parser for subtitle from XML to .srt have i written in BeautifulSoup.
Threading and wrapper of FFmpeg,
so user can drag many program into GUI and all start downloading at once.
Program work on Windows and Linux.
For Windows have i used Py2exe(all is packed so user don't need Python or FFmpeg to use it).
Thank you for taking the time to share your stories!
You guys have definitely done some cool projects.

But, what about you? Yes, YOU!
You there, reading this thread but not replying... We want to know what you are doing with python.
(Oct-01-2016, 03:53 AM)ATXpython Wrote: What are some real world applications of Python?

i recently wrote python code to run in an EC2 instance on the AWS cloud service to figure out a configuration and run openvpn to run an encrypted tunnel between VPC subnets in different AWS regions without the user needing to make any config choices or setups at all.  there is just a table of new subnet numbers that specify how to reach instances at the other regions.  it makes the tunnels between all regions running a copy of this machine image within the same account.  the code that builds the machine images is also in python.  it uses botocore to access the AWS API.  this will be run as a subscription service.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I mostly do it as a hobby. So i normally do not get into large projects and make scripts for personal reasons.

gaming -- I mostly use python for gaming via pygame. Thats what i enjoy to write.  :)

web scrapers --- anything online that i look at for information, i usually scrape their site to just get what i want and the way i want it. For example i yard sale shop every weekend, and i wrote script to scrape a few different yard sale ad sites, put them together, and post it on a facebook group for yard sales that i manage every week.

automation -- sometimes i do things repetitively (like reinstall ubuntu every 6 months) and i hate setting up my pc every time. An automation script helps me install/modify/download/config, rather setup my pc the way i like it every time. I also wrote a script to automate some things i do for arch linux installs.

I used python for my wedding. I used it on my website to collect guest information (how many coming, how many kids, what they are eating, whether they arecoming ot the wedding and the reception or just one or the other, etc.) and directed all family and friends there. Then after my wedding i had made an option for people at the wedding to upload pics, and display them for everyone to see. AKA people needed to send me .raw image files and facebook degrades them. It was just easier to write it myself and have computer illiterate people go to one location to upload and view than direct them elsewhere. 

I also wrote a couple IRC game bots. Craps and alchemy.

You know, stuff like that for personal reasons.
Recommended Tutorials:
Anyone else have some cool stories they'd like to share?
How are you using python?  Work?  Play?

Note -
I just noticed an error in my original post that makes the question hard to follow.
It should read "This question isn't about any" not "This question is about any...."
Mods - feel free to edit, as I cannot.
Probably the most complex would be OpenStack

What is OpenStack? See
https://www.openstack.org/software/