Python Forum
Python can't import Django and it's in the site-packages directory
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python can't import Django and it's in the site-packages directory
Hello,

I'm trying to play around with the Django tutorial in the Django website, but I ran into an error and don't understand why I am getting it. I found some info about it in other forums, but the answers talk about setting a virtual environment or adding it to the PYTHONPATH environment variable. I still don't understand virtual environments and I'm trying to run this example without it—probably I'll learn and use one soon—and I have django in the following directory "C:\Users\Ivan\Anaconda3\pkgs\python-3.7.0-hea74fb7_0\Lib\site-packages". Isn't this directory supposed to be correct for python to import Django?

This is the exact command I'm using and the exact error I'm getting:

!python manage.py runserver
Output:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "manage.py", line 10, in main from django.core.management import execute_from_command_line ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'django' The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "manage.py", line 21, in <module> main() File "manage.py", line 16, in main ) from exc ImportError: Couldn't import Django. Are you sure it's installed and available on your PYTHONPATH environment variable? Did you forget to activate a virtual environment?
Thanks in advance.
django needs a virtual env. to run.

open command prompt pip install virtualenv
virtualenv . (to use a specic python version - virtualenv . -p python3.8 or whatever)

source bin/activate for linux or don't remember the command for windows should not be hard to find

pip install django

django-admin startproject project-name

python-version manage.py runserver

This tutorial is pretty good in helping understand how to get started with django
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmljXZIypDc
I welcome all feedback.
The only dumb question, is one that doesn't get asked.
My Github
How to post code using bbtags

Hi, menator. Thank you very much for your reply.

I read something in the tutorial about creating the virtual environment, but I think I remember seeing it was optional. Probably I have a bigger concern right now because here https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.0/in...#verifying it tells you to import django to make sure it was installed successfully. However, when I do import django I get
Output:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'django'
. This is what confuses me, because it is in my site-packages folder along with the other packages I have installed via pip. For example, chardet is there, and I can import it and use it normally. Actually, I can run !django-admin startproject project-name and create the project successfully. Probably I need to add it to my PYTHONPATH? If so, my question is, why do I have to do it if it's in my site-packages folder already?
Django needs a virtual environment to run.
I welcome all feedback.
The only dumb question, is one that doesn't get asked.
My Github
How to post code using bbtags

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot import BeautifulSoup4 as bs4 and BeautifulSoup4 not in same directory B5473829 1 6,399 Jul-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Django: How to automatically substitute a variable in the admin page at Django 1.11? m0ntecr1st0 3 3,293 Jun-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Last Post: scidam
  convert html to pdf in django site shahpy 4 6,010 Aug-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Django packages for website with paid user accounts jmarchini 2 3,526 Jan-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Last Post: SarbjitGrewal
  first django site-ms word/pdf files jon0852 1 4,368 Nov-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Last Post: homayoon_hashemi