Python Forum
Replace XML tag and write to the same file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace XML tag and write to the same file
Hello,

I have a xml file with name "binary.xml" with below contents- Need to replace the value of tag identity from ABCDEFG to some new value e.g. 123456. When I'm trying to replace using re file is getting over written. Can you help with a snippet?

<config version="v1"> 
    <chain template="file-system">                            // Use the “”file-system” template
    <provider id="file-system" type="file-system">            // Modify the “file-system” binary provider
        <fileStoreDir>$FILESTORE/binaries</fileStoreDir>    // Override the <fileStoreDir> attribute
    </provider>
    <provider>
      <identity>ABCDEFG</identity>
      <endpoint>some point.com</endpoint>
    </provider>
</config>
Please show what you have tried so far.
Use BS-4 find the tag then use string.replace_with.
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

xml = '''\
<provider>
  <identity>ABCDEFG</identity>
</provider>'''

soup = BeautifulSoup(xml, 'xml')
>>> result = soup.find('identity')
>>> result.string.replace_with('123456')

>>> soup
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<provider>
<identity>123456</identity>
</provider>
Thanks Larz60+ & Snippsat. I'm able to pass through and new file is being generated with below code but this is deleting the comments which are already there in source xml file. Any thoughts on how to get the comments as well to the new file ?

import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET

def newidentity(filename):
   tree = ET.ElementTree(file=filename)
   root = tree.getroot()
   for id in root.iter('identity'):
       print id.text
       identity.text = "123456"
       tree = ET.ElementTree(root)
       print tree
   with open("newfile.xml", "wb") as somefile:
      tree.write(somefile)

if __name__ == "__main__":
   newidentity(filename)
I helped before with ElementTree,but now i do not touch it.
As i have spend unnecessary time to fix stuff in ElementTree,that eg BS-4 or lxml do right.
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

soup = BeautifulSoup(open('binary.xml', encoding='utf-8'), 'xml')
result = soup.find('identity')
result.string.replace_with('123456')
with open('out.xml', 'w', encoding='utf-8') as f:
    f.write(str(soup))
Now get a validat .xml file back where only wanted change is made.
if want file overwritten give same name when write binary.xml,that will also work.
Output:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <config version="v1"> <chain template="file-system"> // Use the “”file-system” template <provider id="file-system" type="file-system"> // Modify the “file-system” binary provider <fileStoreDir>$FILESTORE/binaries</fileStoreDir> // Override the <fileStoreDir> attribute </fileStoreDir> <provider> <identity>123456</identity> <endpoint>some point.com</endpoint> </provider> </provider></chain></config>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last record in file doesn't write to newline gonksoup 3 364 Jan-22-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  write to csv file problem jacksfrustration 11 1,373 Nov-09-2023, 01:56 PM
  python Read each xlsx file and write it into csv with pipe delimiter mg24 4 1,309 Nov-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: mg24
  Replace a text/word in docx file using Python Devan 4 2,853 Oct-17-2023, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Devan
  Need to replace a string with a file (HTML file) tester_V 1 699 Aug-30-2023, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  How do I read and write a binary file in Python? blackears 6 6,015 Jun-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Last Post: rajeshgk
  Reading data from excel file –> process it >>then write to another excel output file Jennifer_Jone 0 1,046 Mar-14-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Jennifer_Jone
  Read text file, modify it then write back Pavel_47 5 1,501 Feb-18-2023, 02:49 PM
  how to read txt file, and write into excel with multiply sheet jacklee26 14 9,515 Jan-21-2023, 06:57 AM
Last Post: jacklee26
  Replace columns indexes reading a XSLX file Larry1888 2 951 Nov-18-2022, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55