Python Forum
Print date, Time and output to file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print date, Time and output to file
Hello,
I am very green to python and currently wrote a code to look at a DB, look at the row for a date-time of the last backup. I'm now trying to figure out how to print the data to text file, print it console and find a function to email the file out. I was working on trying to get the UID PW for a call to file but I gave up on that one. Can anyone provide me some help or guidance on completing these tasks? Im sure there is a better/simplified way to my code but again I am just learning via googling how to do things.

#! /usr/bin/python3.6

import pymysql
import datetime
date = str(datetime.date.today()-datetime.timedelta(1))
print(date)

try:
    db_con1 = pymysql.connect(host='nhmanpncblt01.xx.xxxx.com', port=3306, user='xxxx', passwd='xxxx', db='photonicnetworkcaptures')
    sql_select_Query = "select * from pncnetwork where startTime regexp \'^{}\'".format(date)
    db_con2 = pymysql.connect(host='nhmanpnckey01.xx.xxxx.com', port=3306, user='xxxx', passwd='xxxxx!', db='photonicnetworkcaptures')
    sql_select_Query = "select * from pncnetwork where startTime regexp \'^{}\'".format(date)
    db_con3 = pymysql.connect(host='nhmanpncfre01.xx.xxxxt.com', port=3306, user='xxxx', passwd='xxxxx', db='photonicnetworkcaptures')
    db_con4 = pymysql.connect(host='NHMANPNCNE01.xx.xxxx.com', port=3306, user='xxxxxx', passwd='xxxx!!', db='photonicnetworkcaptures')
    cursor1 = db_con1.cursor()
    cursor2 = db_con2.cursor()
    cursor3 = db_con3.cursor()
    cursor4 = db_con4.cursor()
    cursor1.execute(sql_select_Query)
    cursor2.execute(sql_select_Query)
    cursor3.execute(sql_select_Query)
    cursor4.execute(sql_select_Query)
    records1 = cursor1.fetchall()
    records2 = cursor2.fetchall()
    records3 = cursor3.fetchall()
    records4 = cursor4.fetchall()
    print ("Total number of rows in pncnetwork is: ", cursor1.rowcount + cursor2.rowcount + cursor3.rowcount + cursor4.rowcount)
    print ("\nPrinting each pncnetwork record")
    for row in records1:
        print("{}, {}".format("Beltway", row[2], row[3]))
    for row in records2:
        print("{}, {}".format("Keystone", row[2], row[3]))
    for row in records3:
        print("{}, {}".format("Freedom", row[2], row[3]))
    for row in records4:
        print("{}, {}".format("New England", row[2], row[3]))
except Exception as e:
    print("ERROR ", str(e))

finally:
    db_con1.close()
    db_con2.close()
    db_con3.close()
    db_con4.close()
For reading and writing files, see e.g. section 7 of the tutorial: https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/input...ting-files. As far as emailing goes, if you have a local SMTP server, then you can look at the smtplib module in the standard library: https://docs.python.org/3/library/smtplib.html. If not, your email provider might have an HTTP API that you can use for sending email (GMail certainly does).

(Mar-26-2020, 03:09 PM)tpolim008 Wrote: I am just learning via googling how to do things.

I'm concerned about learning this way, because I think it will lead to a lack of understanding of basic concepts which mean that you won't be able to solve problems that require that knowledge, or learn how to break problems down. You'd do well to get a decent book on the language to help you learn.
(Mar-26-2020, 03:14 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: For reading and writing files, see e.g. section 7 of the tutorial: https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/input...ting-files. As far as emailing goes, if you have a local SMTP server, then you can look at the smtplib module in the standard library: https://docs.python.org/3/library/smtplib.html. If not, your email provider might have an HTTP API that you can use for sending email (GMail certainly does).

(Mar-26-2020, 03:09 PM)tpolim008 Wrote: I am just learning via googling how to do things.

I'm concerned about learning this way, because I think it will lead to a lack of understanding of basic concepts which mean that you won't be able to solve problems that require that knowledge, or learn how to break problems down. You'd do well to get a decent book on the language to help you learn.

can you recommend a book
Two that are good and are freely available legally:

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare current date on calendar with date format file name Fioravanti 1 122 Mar-26-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Date Time Series Help...Please spra8560 2 312 Feb-01-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: spra8560
  Python date format changes to date & time 1418 4 516 Jan-20-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: 1418
  Downloading time zone aware files, getting wrong files(by date))s tester_V 9 961 Jul-23-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Formatting a date time string read from a csv file DosAtPython 5 1,161 Jun-19-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: DosAtPython
  Print names in x-axis of a time-series values hobbyist 4 1,178 Apr-22-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Reading data from excel file –> process it >>then write to another excel output file Jennifer_Jone 0 1,046 Mar-14-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Jennifer_Jone
  Python VS Code: using print command twice but not getting output from terminal kdx264 4 1,034 Jan-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  How to output one value per request of the CSV and print it in another func? Student44 3 1,278 Nov-11-2022, 10:45 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Saving the print result in a text file Calli 8 1,700 Sep-25-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: snippsat