Python Forum
How to copy a .csv worksheet into a .xlsx file without the number values turning into
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to copy a .csv worksheet into a .xlsx file without the number values turning into
Hello there!

I'm having a problem with copying a .csv file into a .xlsx file. It does work because the information is there but the numbers do not register as numbers but as text values which causes the formulas in my .xlsx file to not work.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to copy my .csv sheet into a specific sheet in my .xlsx file, hence the sheet name. Here is my function:

import pandas as pd
import openpyxl

def write_to_target(xlsx_file, csv_file, sheet_name):
    book = openpyxl.load_workbook(xlsx)
    sheet_book = pd.read_csv(csv_file)

with pd.ExcelWriter(xlsx_file, engine='openpyxl')  as writer:
        writer.book = book
        writer.sheets = dict((ws.title, ws) for ws in book.worksheets)
        sheet_book.to_excel(writer, sheet_name=sheet_name, startrow=0, startcol=0, engine = 'openpyxl')
Thanks in advance!
There must be something in your csv file that is confusing the reader. Do you have multi-row column headers in the csv file? Do you have ragged columns (not all the same length). Do you have column footers?

After reading the csv file print some of the data. Start with first row/first column and last row/last column. Is there any text where you expect to see a number? If so you might have to give the reader some extra help, tell it to skip some rows, or tell it what the data type is for a column
(Mar-28-2020, 05:44 AM)deanhystad Wrote: There must be something in your csv file that is confusing the reader. Do you have multi-row column headers in the csv file? Do you have ragged columns (not all the same length). Do you have column footers?

After reading the csv file print some of the data. Start with first row/first column and last row/last column. Is there any text where you expect to see a number? If so you might have to give the reader some extra help, tell it to skip some rows, or tell it what the data type is for a column

Thanks for responding! But I don't understand what you mean. The .csv files are financial statements from Morningstar.com. The excel sheets are recieved from [url=("http://financials.morningstar.com/balance-sheet/bs.html?t="+ticker+"&region=usa&culture=en-US")]][/url]
For example, you can get microsoft's balance sheet at http://financials.morningstar.com/balanc...ture=en-US

I basically I want the .csv files to be pasted into a sheet in an existing xlsx file. But since it pastes as text and not numbers, the formulas that reference it in other excel files don't work.
When reading from csv you will get str, unless you do conversion. You don't show how you read the file, but you can do the conversion either when reading or when writing to excel
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Mar-28-2020, 06:51 AM)buran Wrote: When reading from csv you will get str, unless you do conversion. You don't show how you read the file, but you can do the conversion either when reading or when writing to excel

So would I have to convert the .csv to an .xlsx file or other form? is there a file conversion that can keep the formating and the number values of the .csv file?
can you show how your csv file data looks like? I overlooked that you read the csv file in the function. pandas should detect the type correctly.
I ask because the file you refer to - MSFT balance sheet is not well suited for direct reading with pandas.read_csv
Try to replace
sheet_book = pd.read_csv(csv_file)
with
sheet_book = pd.read_csv(csv_file, skiprows=1)
this way you will skip the first line MICROSOFT CORP (MSFT) CashFlowFlag BALANCE SHEET and will get a proper dataframe
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Update: I figured it out

import sys
import openpyxl
import csv
import glob
from openpyxl.utils import get_column_letter

def write_to_target(target, directory, sheet_name):
    book = openpyxl.load_workbook(target)
    ws = book.get_sheet_by_name(sheet_name)
    f = open(directory)
    reader = csv.reader(f)
    for row_index, row in enumerate(reader):
        for column_index, cell in enumerate(row):
            column_letter = get_column_letter((column_index + 1))
            s = cell
            try:
                s=float(s)
            except ValueError:
                pass

ws.cell('%s%s'%(column_letter, (row_index + 1))).value = s
Just replace target with the .xlsx file and directory with the .csv file

Thanks to everyone who've responded to this post
Assuming the xlsx file exists and there is sheet with sheet_name in it your original code would have worked with the small suggestion I made:
import pandas as pd
import openpyxl

def write_to_target(xlsx_file, csv_file, sheet_name):
    book = openpyxl.load_workbook(xlsx_file)
    sheet_book = pd.read_csv(csv_file, skiprows=1)

with pd.ExcelWriter(xlsx_file, engine='openpyxl')  as writer:
        writer.book = book
        writer.sheets = dict((ws.title, ws) for ws in book.worksheets)
        sheet_book.to_excel(writer, sheet_name=sheet_name, startrow=0, startcol=0, engine = 'openpyxl')

.xlsx   MSFT.xlsx (Size: 7.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Errors if an xlsx file has blank rows in the beginning…. tester_V 1 825 Aug-28-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Export dataframe to xlsx - Error "zipfile.BadZipFile: File is not a zip file" Baggio 10 62,109 Mar-12-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: buran
  XLSX file with multiple sheets to josn file ovidius 2 2,229 Apr-05-2020, 09:22 AM
Last Post: ovidius
  spread values of dataset equally over fixed number of bins moose_man 3 2,510 Oct-30-2019, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Import Excel File that Starts with Number kiki1113 1 3,306 Dec-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  copy one column from csv file and paste into xls file kprogrammer 0 4,378 Nov-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Last Post: kprogrammer
  Copy raw data in excel to another new excel file keerthiprashanth 5 3,888 Oct-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Last Post: volcano63
  Searching a .txt file for a specific number and extracting the corresponding data nrozman 3 3,225 Jul-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Last Post: nrozman
  Updating the Pandas dataframe to existing excel workbook in existing worksheet. sanmaya 1 9,754 Jul-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Last Post: volcano63
  Write data into existing Excel (xlsx) file with multiple sheets BNB 1 15,341 Jun-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Larz60+