Python Forum
Moving large amount of data between MySql and Sql Server using Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving large amount of data between MySql and Sql Server using Python
Hi Python developers,

I'm a beginner in the Python programming environment, I started doing online Python courses and I would like to use Python in the data analysis area.
Therefore, I would like to ask you if there is anyone among you who has done a massive (1: 1) data transfer from MySql to Sql Server, using Python.
I would like to know if this can be done using Python. In this way, I could remove the ETL tool which has limitations when it comes to large data transfers from two different DBMS systems.
Therefore, I would like to know if I can do the following steps in Python:

Step 1. Connect to the Mysql database.
Step 2. Access to the table where I want to get my data.
               something like "select * from table"
Step 3. Copy the data to the new table on the Sql Server.

I want to make a simple copy (1: 1) without transformations or data aggregation, etc.

I found some information about Python data frames (Pandas or Dask) but the examples used files for manipulating data and inserting them into a database.

In my case, should I use Python SQL Driver - pyodbc?
Are there other Python drivers that are better at extracting data from databases?

Thanks,
Adrian
Once I've used this Tool to export the data from an MS Access Database to sqlite.
Then you may dump the data with a different program.
But the data could also exported directly to a MySQL Server. I haven't tried it, but the option for this target is available in dbsofts tool.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
Is this something you have to do once? Because SQL Server Management Studio (which is free MS software) has a nice import option to import data from different kinds of sources.
@DeaD_EyE, thanks for your info!

@Jeff900, I use the SSIS etl tool and, for small amount of data I am able to import data from MySql(over the network) into Sql Server database. But when I need to catch large amount of data (tables with more 1.5 bilion of rows), the etl tool shows its limits :). From what I know, is a problem with the ADO NET Source connector. Therefore, I'm trying to replace this etl tool only for moving large data from a DBMS to another. Thanks!
Do you use the "Developer" edition from SQL Server? That edition has some limitations, but I'm not sure what the limitations are exactly. But one is the limitations on the number of records/size in/on the database. And that may cause the limitation problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with writing monitored data to mysql upon change of one particular variable donottrackmymetadata 3 248 Apr-18-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Unable to connectDjango to mysql server sureshpython 0 168 Apr-09-2024, 07:30 PM
Last Post: sureshpython
  Mysql and mysql.connector error lostintime 2 679 Oct-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Last Post: lostintime
  Moving data from one Excel to another and finding maximum profit azizrasul 7 1,472 Oct-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: azizrasul
  In SQL Server, mix data types. shiv11 0 881 Sep-21-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: shiv11
  How to modify python script to append data on file using sql server 2019? ahmedbarbary 1 1,223 Aug-03-2022, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  SMA (simple moving avg) Not receiving Data (stock prices). gdbengo 2 1,450 Jul-31-2022, 08:20 PM
Last Post: paulyan
  drawing moving circle on line with python barrai 1 3,126 Feb-25-2022, 03:33 PM
Last Post: BashBedlam
  Mysql error message: Lost connection to MySQL server during query tomtom 6 16,043 Feb-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: ibreeden
Question Debian 11 Bullseye | Python 3.9.x | pip install mysql-connector-python-rf problems BrandonKastning 4 6,683 Feb-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: BrandonKastning