Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some small questions
Hello! im new here and i couldnt find something for newcomers. Just School-stuff but im not a student anymore.

English isnt my native language soooo... i try my best to explain what i mean :D
There is also another thing, im not completly new to coding. I know the basic stuff you learn in 3-4 semester in the university. But i stopped because of financial stuff and havent coded something in the last 4 years.

I remember python and it was a nice language for stuff to do more simple than in other languages.

But there were also some smaller problems. Like Stuff i wanted to do years ago but i cant do how i would like it to do (like game programming) - Also an "overview" what actually possible.

Especially, if trying C# or C++ would be better.

But lets come to my problem and my "Idea"

Because i miss an overview, i dont know where to start to get the best results - especially in the GUI Area.

At actual work with much paper files and a, sometimes, confusing program which is said is "simply" - but when i look on it i think it could be much simpler.

The program itself is more like a database where you can create your own "electronic workspace". And i want to try to get a simpler system.

So... my main questions are:
-which GUI-System? I know tkinter. But when i worked with it, it doesnt feel 'well'. Are there better alternatives?
-Database with python?
I know regular text-databases are possible, but im not sure if this is still the standard today?

What i want to program:
I want to program mostly an organizer where i can create own files/Folder where i can add other documents and the more important thing is the Overview and options i want to see varying. More near the actual workfield im in.

I think most other questions will come with the time when im working on it.
But... especially the GUI stuff is important because it should be able to be used in a workspace area and commercial (if my boss someday say "hey this is good...lets use this in our company!" - it could bring trouble because of licence stuff.

Yea - i hope i got it right Confused
For the GUI, personally I would use PyQT5. It's a python wrapper of the C++ QT project. You can use their QT Designer program to create a GUI by dragging and dropping components. You can export the GUI as an XML file and have pyqt5 parse the XML and display the GUI. This mostly gets rid having to code the gui by hand. All you would need to do is add even listeners to the buttons and call functions when they are clicked.
There's many other options out there and a bit of googling might help you find one perfect for your needs.

As for the database, personally I would set up a MySQL database and then use the sqlite3 module to work with the database.
Aaaand i cant find a correction button... is there a good IDE for Windows?

I heard of PyQT5. But didnt you have to pay for it? If i remember correctly.
(Jun-05-2020, 01:31 PM)Kael90 Wrote: Aaaand i cant find a correction button... is there a good IDE for Windows?
My personal favourite is VS Code, with Sublime Text 3 following closely. They both support many more languages than Python. Sublime text is more of a 'code editor'. It has syntax highlighting but no proper debugging functions or anything like that. You could say it's a fancier version of notepad++. It's small, fast and easy to use.
For me though, I like VS Code. It has many, many good extensions. It has breakpoints, debuggers and supports python web applications like Django and Flask (however I don't use those). It is also developed by Microsoft so it probably gets more frequent updates.
If you want to go full out, then you can use Visual Studio, but for making a python program I think it's a bit over the top (and its large and slow to open up)
(Jun-05-2020, 01:31 PM)Kael90 Wrote: I heard of PyQT5. But didnt you have to pay for it? If i remember correctly.
QT supports open source programs for free, I believe, but if I recall correctly commercial use does mean you need to buy it.
You did mention possibly going commercial, so in that case, doing a bit of looking around it seems 'KIVY GUI' is a very popular python gui framework. I have never used so I can't comment on it.
If you were still looking for a drag and drop gui builder, then there is one called 'PAGE' for tkinter. I have installed and played with a bit, but not much. I try to avoid tkinter since it's a bit unintuitive.
It's really up to you what you want to choose. Googling something like 'best python gui frameworks 2020' and reading some of the articles might help you find one you like.
Ignore this response - somehow I posted the answer twice
Im not that well informed about coding-licence problems.
Especially in commercial use. Here in my country there could be conditions like :"If used in workspace you need license version XY" and conditions like: "If you want to sell it you need license YX".

So im curious about that :)

About the IDE:
I remember Pycharm. But i also saw Visual Studios with Python as you mention.But when i used VS years ago the Python IDE seems a bit... clunky? felt a bit confusing to that time. (most times i worked with the standard python IDE). And yea - i prefered notepad++ for some stuff like this. But sublimetext seems a bit... dont know - maybe im too old fashioned for that design... MACish?

at all: thanks for your help!
(Jun-05-2020, 08:58 PM)Kael90 Wrote: Im not that well informed about coding-licence problems.
Especially in commercial use. Here in my country there could be conditions like :"If used in workspace you need license version XY" and conditions like: "If you want to sell it you need license YX".

So im curious about that :)

KIVY Python is published under the MIT licence, which quoting direct from says:
Quote:without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software

So yes, it would be fine to use it commercially.
For the KIVY liscence, just googling it told me what it was licensed under. If it has a github page then it will have a 'LICENSE' file telling you what the license is. I think many GUI frameworks will be under the MIT license.

(Jun-05-2020, 08:58 PM)Kael90 Wrote: About the IDE:
I remember Pycharm. But i also saw Visual Studios with Python as you mention.But when i used VS years ago the Python IDE seems a bit... clunky? felt a bit confusing to that time. (most times i worked with the standard python IDE). And yea - i prefered notepad++ for some stuff like this. But sublimetext seems a bit... dont know - maybe im too old fashioned for that design... MACish?
I haven't used VS Code for that long so you might be right. When I set it up not too long ago, it up was very quick. I downloaded it, installed it, and when I opened up a '.py' file it instantly prompted me to get some extensions for things like syntax highlighting. Even if it didn't prompt you, its very quick to get them from the marketplace.

I know what you mean about sublime text - it's designed to be a nice cross platform 'clean' GUI. You can actually completely change the look of sublime text since it is very customisable (there are many different 'themes' and 'colour palettes' that have already been created so you just need to pick one you like).
But if you didn't want to install any IDE, then the default python IDE is more than acceptable.
Aah - no i want to install an IDE. It makes the work so much easier to see your failures then just searching for it step by step :D

i also liked it to see the whole code on one side so i can watch directly on it. Something PyCharm has done, but i also think Visual Studios (not VS Code) also have it?

I will google my way around them a bit.

Also - looking a bit for small game coding if i want to make something different. i remember GODOT as an engine which works well with Python-like coding. So - maybe i take a small look on it when i cant see any more spreadsheets :D
(Jun-05-2020, 01:29 PM)DreamingInsanity Wrote: As for the database, personally I would set up a MySQL database and then use the sqlite3 module to work with the database.

No, the sqlite3 module is for interacting with SQLite databases. Each SQL database has its own library that implements the DB-API. MySQL's can be found here for example.

Note that there are other kinds of databases too and what's best depends on what you're trying to do. Since Python is quite a popular language, I imagine you'll have little trouble finding a decent library for whichever database you want to use.
(Jun-05-2020, 01:31 PM)Kael90 Wrote: I heard of PyQT5. But didnt you have to pay for it? If i remember correctly.
There a two version PyQT5 and Qt for Python,the are mostly similar excepts license.
PyQt5 is released under the GNU GPL v3 and Qt for Python is available under the LGPL v3.
The difference is that with LGPL v3 don't need to share the code used,with GNU GPL v3 most share code.
For use commercial the both are under Qt Commercial License which cost 550$ for one year.

Kivy as mention also look into wxPython(which is strong GUI and no license problems).
Kael90 Wrote:Something PyCharm has done, but i also think Visual Studios (not VS Code) also have it?
Just a advice very few in Python use Visual Studio,VS Code is much more geared against Python.
Have Thread here VS Code from start.