Python Forum
Which databse "engine" is available?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which databse "engine" is available?
Hi, I just learned that some modules/libraries/engines which are available are deprecated or will be unsupported by future Python versions.

So what database "engines"/modules/libraries are available and recommended? Note that I don't want a DB design recommendation.

(If there are too many to mention them all, I would prefer the low level interface.)

I already found this:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python3/p...access.htm
But I fear that list may already be outdated?
I also read in a book about SQLAlchemy but that seems rather high level?

Greetings
Peter
I think this is too broad and "reversed" question. What DB do you want/plan to use? What for? Major DB engines will be supported anyway, you just need to pick right package for you (there might be several)
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

OK. Good to hear that.

1.) Then let me specify:
I want a _very_ large database with thousands of entries. And I want several databases/tables/"lists", not just one. The data will be strings, integers and perhaps pictures.

2.) In the tutorial I mentioned there is PyMySQL. Is that still actively used and will be supported in the near future? That seems like a good starting point to me.

Greetings
Peter
(Jun-11-2020, 01:09 PM)PeterLinux Wrote: I want a _very_ large database with thousands of entries
Any of the big DB would do. Assuming you want free one:
MySQL
MariaDB - a fork of MySQL
PostgreSQL
(listed in arbitrary order)

Note, because you speak of SQL and db/tables I assume relational DB as listed above.
There are also noSQL databases

(Jun-11-2020, 01:09 PM)PeterLinux Wrote: there is PyMySQL
For MySQL - I would recommend to look at the official MySQL Python connector
But you may prefer to use MariaDB instead (official MariaDB Python connector)

PostgreSQL is also popular

Probably others will add their recommendations too
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Thanks! That solves my question.
Note that there is SQLite3 (file like db) with build in support in python. You can look at it for start - for learning and testing etc. It depends on how large is _VERY_ large :-)
Create MCV example
Debug small programs