Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win Links
File System Links.

In Win7 my C: Drive is starting to get a little crowded, and is due for a replacement sometime in the near future. So I have been moving a bunch of files off to an adjacent D: drive and linking them to C; - With a mixture of directory junctions and symlinks. These are mainly from the "Program Files" directories.

Now I am doing this with my USER dirs, particularly in /Roaming, with Python37, and NodeJS - with Directory Junctions.

My question is: Can this cause potential problems? Already the install processes cannot see the links used im Path (to minimize the environment) to the shell scripts and issue a warning. It is not a real problem since they are visible when called.

Some programs are hard wired to ignore links (IIRC Clang), and I was wondering is there are modules in Python with a similar disposition. In Linux for example, some /Root subdirs refuse to work symlinked.

Another question arises is if there are any differences between ditrectory symlinks and directory junctions as far as operation with permissions and the like.

This is a single user system/network if that is an issue.
After basic testing not finding any problems with Win USER dir on D: withh directory junctions.

Searching on the issue only seemed to bring up Linux /usr/bin issues, which I have had no problem with on Debian.