Python Forum
Web app structure with python as backend
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web app structure with python as backend
Dear friends,

I'm new in python world - just few months of learning. It is time for me to build something by my own :). I have an idea to create a web app using python. Goal of this project is to create a simple page, server for this page and whole backend.
But as I'm beginner I don't have enough knowledge about web applications. This is a reason why I'm creating this post.

Generally me and my friends we have an idea [this will be a business part] to create a foundation for supporting animals. We wanted to create a app where people can donate a small amount of money to report to a lottery in which they can win some gifts from sponsors and special gift from sport star. Collected money we will pass to shelters for animals.
This is only draft idea but I though it can be a good project to practice python skills.

I need to create plan for this project and I would be grateful I you can share with me your opinions suggestions.
Main question is: How to build full web app? [Frontend and backend]

As I'm more interested in backend I wanted to use free templates for fronted.
1. Is there any source where I can find such free templates [HTML+CSS+JS]?
I would be perfect if there can be user logging feature.

2. Web Server
Can I create such server using python?
I was using Flask so far - as I understand Flask is Web Server it self?

3. API
Flask also is working as API?

4. DataBase
Can I build DataBase server also on my own?

I know that these questions my be stupid but I new in that area.
Do you have any pages where I can read about that how to build such app by myself?

BR
(Oct-06-2020, 07:44 AM)alt19 Wrote: As I'm more interested in backend I wanted to use free templates for fronted.
1. Is there any source where I can find such free templates [HTML+CSS+JS]?
I would be perfect if there can be user logging feature.

Are you talking about "login feature"?; There are a lot of free html/css/js templates, just search via google.
And you can find templates that include some "registration" fields, which the user should fill and send
his or her data to your server. However, you need to implement what will be happening behind the scene, when someone send the registration data. This could be done by means of Flask, Django etc.

Quote:2. Web Server
Can I create such server using python?
I was using Flask so far - as I understand Flask is Web Server it self?

I wouldn't say that. Flask is a framework for building web-applications; Once a user makes a request, and you need
to process this request somehow, there are a lot of micro-tasks raised: e.g. parsing url parameters, requests routing, session management etc. This is where Flask (or other tool) can be helpful.

When we're talking about implementing your own full-featured server, we are talking about quite complex problem; however, if your server is expected to response just "Hello World" (or return a couple of static web-pages),
you can likely implement it.

Quote:4. DataBase
Can I build DataBase server also on my own?
It depends. In general, databases are complex things: they solved various problems, such as data consistency,
collision management etc. However, if you database is expected to store only a few textual phrases and you can guarantee that there is no writing collision to it (e.g. users can only read data from it), you can probably build a "database" around "shelve" Python module (or use dict-like structure as an in-memory database).

It is very important in software development (particularly, web developement) to reuse things that
already created and well tested. There are a lot of database servers, web-servers and frameworks; Many of them are open-source. If you want to imagine what amount of work you encounter when trying to implement your own web-server, database-server etc, you could just try to dive into and understand its source code.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to display XML tree structure with Python? sonicblind 13 41,853 Aug-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: mreshko
  Python for Backend Development jayarora 1 1,928 Dec-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ralhanashwarya
  Django REST - input of some form fields is send twice to the backend ann 4 3,942 Jan-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: ann
  Selenium to pick data from excel and enter into backend Prince_Bhatia 0 2,967 Aug-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Prince_Bhatia