Python Forum
where to get portable Python for Linux (Fedora)?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to get portable Python for Linux (Fedora)?
My C++ project needs Python to do some simple things (I/O, batch string find/replacement...). I want my program self-contained and do not rely on the environment of the target computer for Python.

I have included Windows Python distribution in my project. My C++ project will use this included version of Python (to execute attached small python programs/files) no matter there is another Python installation on the PC or not. So my program can run on any target PCs that may have a different version of Python installed or may have no Python installed at all.

My program can also run on Linux. Now, I need to do the same thing for Linux to include Linux Python in my C++ program. I have downloaded and built/made the Python 3.8.6 source tarball. But I don't know which files/folders are the distribution I should copy to my project. Or is there any ready-to-go compressed file I can download somewhere?

Note:

What I want is to include a Python environment (its interpreter and main modules/packages) in my program. When I call "python aPythonFile" from my C++, the Python interpreter used is the one included inside my C++ program's distribution. I don't want to use the unknown version of the Python interpreter installed with the Linux system. I don't want to pack my python scripts with the Python interpreter as well because I may add more scripts later on.

What I want is a kind of portable Python environment/installation (for Linux ONLY) that can be distributed with my C++ program. It will be used by my C++ program to run/execute my small python programs/files.
read this and use as a guide for packaging your application: https://packaging.python.org/overview/
FYI: there are very reliable binary packages available for all python OS versions here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ it's not necessary to rebuild from scratch.
python001 likes this post
What does your application do? Using Docker to package your app may be an option (of course, users would need Docker!).
There are serval way's for this,from doc Embedding Python in C++.
Libraries to look at pybind11, Boost.Python, Nuitka...ect

python001 Wrote:What I want is to include a Python environment (its interpreter and main modules/packages) in my program. When I call "python aPythonFile" from my C++, the Python interpreter used is the one included inside my C++ program's distribution. I don't want to use the unknown version of the Python interpreter installed with the Linux system.
Pyinstaller work fine for this,can create a standalone version with Python interpreter included.
A simple example using system call python from C++.
# meaning.py
def foo(arg):
    return f'Meaning of life number is <{arg}>'

print(foo(42))
// meaning.cpp
#include<iostream> 
using namespace std; 

int main() 
{ 
 	system("python meaning.py"); 
    return 0; 
}
Output:
Running] g++ -o meaning "e:\div_code\c++\meaning.cpp" && meaning Meaning of life number is <42> [Done] exited with code=0 in 1.566 seconds
So it works,now using a exciting Python 3.8 interpreter.
A standalone version made with pyintaller would i call like this,
so here is meaning a stand alone version not needing a Python interpreter.
// meaning.cpp
#include<iostream> 
using namespace std; 

int main() 
{ 
 	system("./meaning"); 
    return 0; 
}
So system is easy way,but also think about security if using system calls.
(Nov-01-2020, 06:12 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: FYI: there are very reliable binary packages available for all python OS versions here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ it's not necessary to rebuild from scratch.

For Linux, all I found are "source tarball". I have to make/build by myself. Am I wrong?
Well, I haven't used fedora for many years, but found the following, which applies to python 3.7, I suspect, but not sure, that same applies up through python 3.9.
https://fedoramagazine.org/python-3-7-no...in-fedora/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is possible to run the python command to call python script on linux? cuten222 6 631 Jan-30-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  How to use a variable in linux command in python code? ilknurg 2 1,547 Mar-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Setup Portable Python on Windows for script starts with double clicks? pstein 0 1,778 Feb-18-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: pstein
  Python syntax in Linux St0rmcr0w 2 44,733 Jul-29-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Login to NordVPN on Linux with python script AGreenPig 2 5,908 Feb-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: AGreenPig
  how to run linux command with multi pipes by python !! evilcode1 2 6,218 Jan-25-2021, 11:19 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Portable installation of Python possible? pstein 2 3,003 Nov-15-2020, 12:14 PM
  Python in Linux environment on RPI kendias 22 10,906 Sep-05-2020, 03:04 AM
Last Post: K_Research
  How do I pick the right python in Linux env? MDRI 9 3,585 Jun-27-2020, 05:40 PM
  control a linux program with python Fifoux082 9 4,006 May-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Fifoux082