Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search faster?
Whoops, put the wrong title! That was another thing I was trying.

I have a simple homework webpage.

PHP collects the students answers, compares them with the correct answers and marks them.

Then the score is written to a MySQL table against that student's student number.

All I have to do is export the columns student_nr and score each week from the results table and I have all the results in a csv file.

I save the csv as an Excel, then Python takes over. I open the excel file and read the student number as key and the score as value into a dictionary: studentsScores

Now I read the scores into a blanko results file containing all the students' numbers in column 1

# put HW scores in the results file
for key in studentScores.keys():
    try:
        for rowNum in range(2, blankoFilerows + 1):
            if str(key) == str(blankoFile[clas].cell(row=rowNum, column=1).value):                  
                blankoFile[clas].cell(row=rowNum, column=4, value=studentScores[key])                
    except KeyError:
        pass
I am just wondering, is there a more "Pythonic", more elegant and quicker way to do this?

For each student, I run through all the keys, 163 * 163. (Just for this course)

Can that be done quicker? (Not that this takes more than a second, but I'm just wondering if there is another, better way)

I am reading a book from Reuven Lerner, Python Workout, he has some neat tricks!
Please show the structure of studentScores.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  go over and search in numpy array faster caro 7 1,691 Jun-20-2022, 04:54 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  How can I make a faster search algorithm pianistseb 19 6,397 Apr-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Larz60+