Python Forum
Sound Approach for Running a Shell Command?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound Approach for Running a Shell Command?
Hello,

I'm trying to use a python script to set an At job in the shell, and I am wanting to make sure my approach is sound. My understanding is that I need to:

1. Import os to my script and use that to set call the At input buffer.
2. Then, I am thinking I use sys.out to send a formatted string to the buffer, such as 'echo "foo"'.
3. Use sys.out to send ^D to close the buffer.

Is this the correct approach? Many thanks for any advice!

-- Matt
not python, so moved to bar
(Dec-08-2020, 08:50 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: not python, so moved to bar
Not sure why you decided so. Probably you wanted to move the other thread - about JavaScript?
Moved it back to General Coding - it looks like OP wants to work from python script as far as I understand.
Larz60+ likes this post
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

You've got a couple of choices here.

The only tricky bit is that you can't give all the info to "at" on its command line, you have to feed it via stdin or from a file. You can give stdin directly from your script via a pipe, or you can do it from an invoked shell.

"at" jobs run on the system, not the shell. The shell is just used for invoking normally at a CLI. You don't need it, and when posssible I avoid interacting with it because it can do powerful things that you're not expecting. But in this case it may be simpler.

Since I don't know of any python modules that directly interface with "at", I'd just use subprocess to run the command, and open a pipe to the subprocess for the necessary commands.

^D is a signal to your keyboard driver that you want to close the file down. In general when you're not using the keyboard, you just close the file. You don't send an explicit EOF. Also, most external communication requires a bytes object, not a str, so it has to be encoded.

Example 1, use a process and a pipe for commands
import subprocess
at_command = "at now + 1 hour".split()
p = subprocess.Popen(at_command, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
p.communicate("/bin/ls > /tmp/foo\n/bin/ls /tmp/ > /tmp/bar\n".encode())
Example 2, use the shell. Note since the shell is doing all the work here, we pass the shell a string and it parses out everything.
import subprocess
at_command = "echo '/bin/ls > /tmp/foo' | at now + 1 hour"
p = subprocess.Popen(at_command, shell=True).communicate()
Quote:Not sure why you decided so. Probably you wanted to move the other thread - about JavaScript?
yes, that was my intent
Thanks so much for the help, I will try out the method of letting the shell do all the work. I was thinking I would have to use a heredoc and was trying to figure out the syntax within python.
This is my attempt at using the HEREDOC method:

import os

heredoc = """zulip-send --stream test --subject at_test --'message this is a test'END"""

os.system("at 8:55 <<END%s" % heredoc)
print "test"
The simpler version using the pwd command works fine, but with the above situation, 'at' yells at me about trying to use parameters that don't (for it) exist. Why would it be seeing --stream as a parameter for 'at' rather than as a parameter for 'zulip-send'?

import os

heredoc = """pwdEND"""

os.system("at 8:55 <<END%s" % heredoc)
print "test"
1 there's no newline between END and %s, so your heredoc close becomes ENDzulip-send, not END.
2 there's no newline between the end of the command and the END, so the heredoc close isn't recognized.
3 looks like your quotes are wrong around the --message option.
Apologies for the dumb errors, and thank you very much for the help!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed on how to approach this problem... sawtooth500 1 267 Apr-06-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Open a dos shell for ssh command martinmistere 6 1,736 Jun-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: martinmistere
  batch file for running python scipt in Windows shell MaartenRo 2 1,899 Jan-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: MaartenRo
  Need feedback on my approach for python dashboard for Asana pashtett 0 1,335 Nov-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Last Post: pashtett
  Running Python in Command Prompt Anwar 3 3,088 Nov-15-2020, 03:15 PM
  Error when running mktorrent subprocess command pythonnewbie138 4 3,877 Sep-16-2020, 01:55 AM
Last Post: pythonnewbie138
  Error: How to to close and restart your shell after running 'conda init' angelica 3 10,281 May-27-2020, 10:00 AM
  Approach to creating Audit table pynewbie 4 3,854 Feb-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Last Post: pynewbie
  Running linux command line apps... dbrdh 0 1,662 Jan-30-2020, 01:14 PM
Last Post: dbrdh
  list approach due nested order 3Pinter 6 2,847 Oct-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Last Post: 3Pinter