Python Forum
Which is best for python?Linux or windows?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is best for python?Linux or windows?
Which is the best OS for python ?Linux OS or Windows OS?
Linux is more friendly to an experienced programmer and Windows is more friendly to an inexperienced programmer. I don't find Windows perfect but I won't sign on to the blind hatred you will see from some Linux enthusiasts.
That explains a lot.Thanks.
Can't tell more for Windows and Python together except what I learned here. Windows is not made for that.
Linux comes with Python already installed and both fork perfectly well.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(May-02-2017, 04:33 PM)wavic Wrote: Windows is not made for that.
really? you don't have experience with Windows and even refuse to touch anything made by MS (as per your own words) and in the same time you KNOW Windows is not made for that? Let's be serious... Python is cross-platform.
Python works perfectly fine on either. One of the whole reasons for running on a virtual machine is so the OS doesn't matter.
As I said I can't tell more than I have already noticed. There were a lot of questions for win+py+module and how to make them work together on a windows system. If I have to develop something for windows I am going to install one. But for learning purposes... no thanks.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(May-02-2017, 04:38 PM)nilamo Wrote: One of the whole reasons for running on a virtual machine is so the OS doesn't matter.
I think that the main reason for VMs is different - it is to dynamically build machines for distributed users according to specific demands. The ability to run VM on your PC is a nice bonus - but you need rather strong HW to effectively run VM on your PC.

The issue is - VM itself must run some OS.

(May-02-2017, 08:09 AM)PySoD Wrote: Which is the best OS for python ?Linux OS or Windows OS?

Let's look at this backwards. Python installation has long been a part of Linux distributions. (A sad side effect being corporations' reluctance to advance to newer versions of Python till they - versions - become standard in Linux distros).

Some of Linux utilities are written in Python - e.g., RedHat's yum. Python is standard development language at above-mentioned RedHat. It sponsors Python conferences and meetups.

I don't believe that MS shows such as involvement in Python language.
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
I just know I'm going to regret getting into this variation of "I hate Microsoft", but here goes.  Yes, most Linux (and lets not forget Mac's and the BSD systems) come with Python pre-installed- part of the OS is written in Python.  Windows has nothing dependent on Python, so why install it?  Windows comes with the .Net Framework pre-installed, Linux does not.  To Windows, Python is just another app, if you want it, install it and it will work.  As I said, most of the *nix systems come with it pre-installed, but it is typically not the latest version and does not always come with the "full boat" of modules, as an example on my OpenSuse Linux box, "pip" was not installed.  Some included modules have to be modified in order to work correctly with a certain distro, so you can't just use pip to upgrade, you have to rely on the distro's repository, which again may not be the latest version.  Installing the latest version of Python is a darned sight easier on Windows than on the *nix's (having installed 3.6.1 on both the Windows 10 and Raspberry Pi).

There are more pro's and con's on both sides, so let me just say...neither is "better" than the other, Python is Python and will work on both equally as well.

Just as a side note, if you are new to Python and have a Linux or Mac, you probably have two versions of Python pre-installed, v2.x and v3.x, I encourage you to use the 3.x version (it is typically invoked by typing python3 on the command line.  If you are using Windows, I again encourage you to install the latest v3.x.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(May-02-2017, 04:53 PM)volcano63 Wrote: I don't believe that MS shows such as involvement in Python language.

I believe that statement to be incorrect, they have been building in support and tools for Python into Visual Studio for several years now.  They are also sponsors of the Python Software Foundation
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pandas + PIL on Linux (Python 32) Clives 3 2,032 Mar-25-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Run Python 3 script with the same command on Windows, Linux, and macOS? ssrobins 3 2,700 Nov-15-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Best compiler for windows or mac linux Shadowdevelopment 0 1,586 Jan-21-2020, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Shadowdevelopment
  how to install python on linux manchun 5 4,452 Mar-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Last Post: wavic
  many versions on python on linux Skaperen 8 5,680 Oct-17-2017, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Windows/VBA on at work, Linux+Haskell (and Python) on weekends Ofnuts 4 4,571 Feb-09-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Larz60+