Python Forum
Conda/Anaconda no longer free to use?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conda/Anaconda no longer free to use?
I went to install Anaconda on a new PC here today and once you click the download for the "free" individual edition, you're now taken to a page that reads:

Quote:Thank you for downloading
If you are using Anaconda in a commercial environment with more than 200 employees, you need to purchase a Commercial Edition license.

Wait, what? So now if you work in a large organization and are doing any professional/commercial work you can no longer legally use Anaconda without a $15/month subscription (and they'll try to get you to pay $3000+/month based on the size of the organization it seems)?

I looked at the Anaconda installer and there's nothing about this in there, it's just the usual 3-clause BSD derived goodness. But searching around finds that this rather interesting document exists on their web site (not referenced in the product license or content that I can find):

https://www.anaconda.com/terms-of-service

The gist of this seems to be that ANY use of the Anaconda "repository" (very poorly defined in the document but potentially meaning all conda packages and perhaps even the Anaconda installer itself) other than "personal, non-business purposes" is prohibited without an "individual subscription".

This is completely out of sync both with the BSD license in the installer as well as the statement about "more than 200 employees" on the download page. It seems to apply to ALL professional / commercial users regardless of organization size, individual use, etc.

In a reddit post, someone said they say that due to an "explosion of use" they have had to eliminate free access to their downloads. Ok, I can see that would be an issue, but the terms-of-service document also prohibits any caching of packages and any attempt to mirror or otherwise replicate what they want to sell to you. If it's really a capacity/cost issue, then why not work with the community to create a distributed mirror system for conda packages etc.?

Or could it be that this is just an out-of-control sales and marketing team? Are they trying so hard to be RedHat and Oracle now? If you're going to go this route, PLEASE don't do the wishy-washy "try to demand payment for something that's actually free just to see who will do it" thing. Also don't try to hide the fact that something everyone assumes is free isn't. Synchronize the Installer license, product and download pages, and whatever actual license/terms-of-use you want to enforce.

I have always been a big supporter/evangelist for Anaconda, but it looks like I will have to stop recommending it if I can't be sure that everyone will be able to legally use it.
Did you also send this to the authors of Anaconda?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updating the Conda environment tsgd84 0 1,329 Feb-13-2020, 07:37 AM
Last Post: tsgd84
  Python 3.8 - Some Packages No Longer Accepted ? adt 1 2,617 Oct-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  modules and/or functions no longer pythonic Skaperen 0 1,533 Jul-13-2019, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Skaperen