Python Forum
[PyQt] updating references to data variables across widgets
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PyQt] updating references to data variables across widgets
I'd like to know what is the recommended approach to maintain references to an object that is used by multiple widgets.

Let's consider the following code
class MyWidget(QWidget):
    def __init__(self, parent=None, data=None):
        self.data = data

class MyWindow(QMainWindow):
    def __init__(self, parent=None):
        self.data_structure = Datastructure() # Abritrary mutable data structure
        self.widget1 = MyWidget(self, data=self.datastructure)
        self.widget2 = MyWidget(self, data=self.datastructure)

def load_new_data(path):
        self.data_structure = create_new_data_structure_from_file(path)

Naturally, any changes made in place to data_structure will be reflected in widget1 and widget2. So far so good
Now if I replace the data_structure with a new instance, let's say for example after loading a file, I will lose the coupling with the widgets because they are still referencing the old instance.
I've thought about a few approaches
  • Maintain the reference by putting the data structure inside a mutable container (a list for example)
  • Create a method in Datastructure to clear/copy data from a new instance.. which seems a huge hassle if the data structure is complex, and the new instance already has all the data I need anyway
  • Create methods in the widgets to update the reference to the new instances. Reflecting the changes down the line could become cumbersome if the widgets have children and so on...
  • Destroy old widgets and replace with new ones. Again, this should work fine if limited to a few descendants, maybe not if I have to regenerate a big chunk of my interface as a chain reaction

Or something else entirely?
I like functions. MyWidget should have a function that returns data needed to refresh the widget.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tkinter] Updating variables in an "after" loop omrot 9 12,589 Jun-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: omrot