Python Forum
How to create a speed limiter for a car
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create a speed limiter for a car
Can someone please help me.

I want to create a device that you plug into your car that limits the speed of the car according to the speed limit of the road (like for parents for teens that are worried about their teens going over the speed limit) but I dont know where to start.

I would like to create something that you plug into your car that works with the speedometer to get the speed you are going and using the navigation that is built into the car to see what the speed limit and if the cars speed is == the speed limit and no matter how hard you press the accelerator in will not increase in speed.
You'd need a mechanic and to know the exact model of car.

That said, if to guess at an approach, I have to find the output from the peddle. It would be mechanical in older cars, and in modern cars will surely input to the cars computer. Figure that out then you can start figuring a way interrupt that signal and lie to the engine/cars CPU as needed.
Tyrel likes this post
These types of things already exist. Google "vehicle speed governor".

This is something that would be best programmed into the firmware (FPGAs, etc.) in the car rather than an external python program reading data and then trying to control the car. It could be done but any insignificant bug could be fatal. Not to mention that even if such a system works, it would prevent the ability to accelerate out of danger which many fleet vehicle drivers complain about.

In any case, programming such a thing in any language isn't your main problem. Integrating the hardware into your vehicle is. I don't know but I suspect that making these kinds of mods to your private car may make it illegal to operate on public roads. They are mostly used on fleet vehicles and drivable equipment like fork-lifts and construction vehicles. They DO make models for parents with teenage drivers also so you might want to be safe and buy one rather than rolling your own.

If you want to look further into this start with the CAN Bus network that allows most modern vehicles to transfer data around their various electronics systems: https://www.csselectronics.com/screen/pa...anguage/en

You also might want to look for OBD scanners that you plug into the port in your car to read fault codes. Some of them can monitor a lot of performance info too.

Don't forget to check your local laws before you modify your car though. Big Grin
perfringo likes this post
(Feb-23-2021, 04:41 PM)michael1789 Wrote: You'd need a mechanic and to know the exact model of car.

That said, if to guess at an approach, I have to find the output from the peddle. It would be mechanical in older cars, and in modern cars will surely input to the cars computer. Figure that out then you can start figuring a way interrupt that signal and lie to the engine/cars CPU as needed.
Ok thanx

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a simple rate limiter. DreamingInsanity 0 1,719 May-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: DreamingInsanity
  Python module speed or python speed in general Enrique6 1 1,837 May-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Creating a program that records speed in a speed trap astonavfc 7 7,328 Nov-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: nilamo