Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to install Python
I've been using Python for years and have been given a new laptop by my employer. It had Python 3.6 installed and I wanted to go for a more recent version. I uninstalled 3.6 and all was fine. But when I downloaded 3.8.10 from python.org and ran the installer I got an error message saying that the file core.msi could not be found. Although the error message said the file was on a network resource, it pointed to a folder on my local C: drive which doesn't exist.

Things I have tried:
- I've searched the C: drive looking for a core.msi. None found.
- Rebooting the computer, several times, including a cold boot (usually after making a change, such as registry cleaner or before attempting an install).
- Downloading different versions of Python working forwards and backwards from 3.8.10. I get the same error in all cases until I get to Python 3.7.6 which installed OK.
- Running a registry cleaner.

This computer is running Windows 10. I run a Windows 10 computer at home and have not had any problems getting a more recent version of Python.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Can I get hold of the core.msi file from anywhere (I have tried but can't find a source for it)?

Thanks,
Look at Python 3.9/3.8 and pip installation under Windows
When you now shall have new version should install the newest Python 3.9.5
Last on page try Recommended Windows installer (64-bit),and see how it goes.
branty1970 Wrote:Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Can I get hold of the core.msi file from anywhere (I have tried but can't find a source for it)?
Shall never search for core.msi or do anything with as it should not show up unless something goes wrong when under installation,
if get error search google for it or can post it here.
(May-25-2021, 11:47 AM)snippsat Wrote: Look at Python 3.9/3.8 and pip installation under Windows
When you now shall have new version should install the newest Python 3.9.5
Last on page try Recommended Windows installer (64-bit),and see how it goes.
branty1970 Wrote:Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Can I get hold of the core.msi file from anywhere (I have tried but can't find a source for it)?
Shall never search for core.msi or do anything with as it should not show up unless something goes wrong when under installation,
if get error search google for it or can post it here.

Thanks, I did want to install a newer version of Python, but received the error.    

So, it seems the installer is looking for the core.msi file. The error code provided by the installer is 0x80070643.
Most likely some Windows problem with your computer.
Look at Error 0x80070643 when installing
Try to change AllUsers vs JustForMe install,and see if something changes,aslo right click an run as Administrator.
Quote:this log file is when the installer is attempting to upgrade from an AllUsers install to a JustForMe install, which almost always fails. But since this is upgrading from a previous JustForMe, it's not that.)
Windows Update - error 0x80070643
Just found a way to get further. I've installed Python 3.9.0 using the web installer. That worked. But there is no web installer for newer versions. But, maybe this has shifted the problem. I'll try again with a newer version when I get the chance.
(May-25-2021, 12:37 PM)branty1970 Wrote: Just found a way to get further. I've installed Python 3.9.0 using the web installer. That worked. But there is no web installer for newer versions. But, maybe this has shifted the problem. I'll try again with a newer version when I get the chance.

Just tried with Python 3.9.5 (the latest version at time of writing) and I get the original error. The installer fails looking for core.msi and gives the error code 0x80070643. Clearly the web installer works differently. But the web installer isn't an option for all versions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to install module rrowhe4d 1 2,292 Oct-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Unable to install virtual environment on python 3.8.3 Allen10 4 3,144 Jun-04-2020, 04:22 AM
  Unable to install Python russianponchik 2 2,110 Mar-18-2020, 07:39 AM
Last Post: russianponchik
  Unable to install python-wnck python-imaging on Void Linux linuxlight 1 3,207 Mar-08-2020, 03:53 AM
  Unable to install pyaudio junzhi 2 24,242 Oct-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: HorDamn
  unable to install sip/pyqt on windows 10 phparion 1 4,418 Oct-27-2018, 11:03 PM
  Unable to install Python 3 PierreSoulier 2 3,685 Jun-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: snippsat