Python Forum
best " Learning Python " book for a beginner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best " Learning Python " book for a beginner
I purchased the 2nd edition Python Crash Course ,is there a "really easy " book to learn Python,like really easy - but at the same time explains what is going on and why your doing it.
The Crash Course book is good but I'd like to know more of why I am doing something ,it seems in the book the author just does a thing,explains it abit . . . and you see the outcome. Then he moves on to the next thing.

Al
By your previous threads, I think you're having difficulty grasping how a program works in general. Totally understandable if you haven't been exposed to computers when beginning.

Try python 101 by Michael Driscoll
You can get a sample chapter here: https://leanpub.com/py101
You might actually want a more involved book then instead of easier. I always liked the encyclopedia style books because you get more involved. The smaller books whiz by too fast.

I always liked "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz. Whatever the latest version is now. It explains the fundamentals of Python and the second book "Programming Python" brings in things to program with the fundamentals.
Recommended Tutorials:
Thanks to all that replied , I been using PC's for years ,I have no trouble moving files ,creating files, etc. I have even fixed PC's that have had electronic problems ,but the programming thing is all new to me.
Thanks, "metulburr" on the comment about some books "wizzing thru stuff". They tell you what do do ,but don't say why your doing it.

Again Thank You all . . . hopefully I'll learn something about programming !

Al
(Jul-22-2021, 03:09 PM)alok Wrote: Thanks, "metulburr" on the comment about some books "wizzing thru stuff". They tell you what do do ,but don't say why your doing it.
That is one reason why i liked "Learning Python" book. It would give you numerous examples to do the same thing. In some token this is why some people hate this book. "This is the best way because it is more pythonic" , this is an alternate way, this is a bad way, this is the old way (python 2.0 at least for my version i read). All doing the same task. Although this is more to read, it gives a better understanding of why your doing something one way versus the other.

In addition, another reason i love this book is there are half paged boxed sections within the book that go further into detail called "why you will care?" that explains why this is helpful and useful for you. There are also mini chapters within each chapter of "Why use X?" that go numerous pages on why use something that is related to the topic of the chapter. These are scattered about the book on everything they talk about. As well as each chapter has a summary, quiz and answers, gotcha warnings, and exercises. So you feel by the end of each chapter that you understand how to code something and why you are coding it the way you are.

The first 75 pages or so dont have any code. It is all just Why do people use python, what are its strengths and weaknesses, why use built-ins, how python runs programs, how you run programs (command line, IDE, clicking files to execute, Shebang line explanation etc.). So this is the introductory of the book, the same applies to the introductory of each chapter.

After reading this book i have read others and find most of them lacking in detail. When i was new i loved how they explained things numerous times with different avenues of reaching the same goal and the explanations to someone whom is totally oblivious. I have answered numerous questions on this forum from solely reading this book alone on making peoples code more pythonic. And it was only because of this book i knew what they were trying to do and how to do it better (pythonic, less code, less chaotic, more understandable, or there is a built in module for that mess your making).
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner stuck in Python book for kids mic81k 11 1,124 Nov-27-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Deitel book "Python for Programmers" ricardian 7 19,934 May-12-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Nested Python functions (Dan Bader's book) Drone4four 4 2,522 Jun-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  I really need help, I am new to python, I am using a book that helps me to learn JaprO 5 2,903 Nov-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Last Post: JaprO
  creating an 'adress book' in python using dictionaries? apollo 6 14,690 May-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Last Post: snippsat