Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life advice
Hello all,

I don't consider myself to be an expert in coding at all. I know a bit, but haven't had any ways to practically apply what I've learned. I'm looking for advice on how I can, again, practically apply skills in a low risk environment.

Is there any places people would recommend to find work where I can test my knowledge, such as a bug bounty site which isn't paid? Or how would you recommend I get more into the industry?

Kind regards,
James
while dad_has_cigs == True:
    happiness = True
    if dad_has_cigs == False:
    print("Dad come home!")
    happiness = not happiness
    break
look for makerspaces locations near you. They very often have python groups that meet and work on community projects.
j.crater likes this post
Hey James,
perhaps you have a favourite Python 3rd party module or framework you like using and can contribute to. Projects are (or at least most of them) hosted on Github and openly available.
With smaller projects it is usually easy to get in touch with developers/maintainers, as it is a small group, or even single person behind it.
With bigger projects, there are often guidelines for people who want to join and contribute. For example, Kivy has a Discord space, and is probably not the only one with that kind of setup.
As for the industry part, I will leave this to people with first hand experience to answer. But I assume your Github activity is a good way to connect with people and present yourself, e.g. on LinkedIn.
Just pick an option and go for it, don't get stuck in "what is the """best""" thing to do". Cos rarely anyone who succeeded knew in advance what the best thing to do was. It was taking action and persevering that lead to success ;)
Good luck!
JC