Python Forum
Python OOP - two numbers
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python OOP - two numbers
Okay, basically, the question is in hebrew ( my land launage), so I am translating it for you in english, hopefully it will be a good translation:

Write a class named: TwoNumbers

attributes:
first number - small
second number - big

methodes:
1. print in this format: small - (something), big - (something )
for example: small - 3, big - 9

2. a constructor which receives two numbers and reset the attributes of both of them ( no know the order of numbers )

3.GCD of both the numbers ( EDIT: forgot to mention, recursively )

4. print the difference between two numbers by seven boom.

Okay, so I basically did it all, I am sure in my code in all questions, execpt the fourth one...
I get it good, but I could do it only as a list and its a pretty long code for that function...
If anybody know any way of fixing the seven boom function to be shorter ( except using list comprehension, I dont like using it, its more readable that way, atleast for me... ) or how to do it using INT, I will be happy to get tips to change it ( or a list is good for it ).
( I know how to do seven boom with str, but I cant do it with return statement, only with print statement )

Code:
class TwoNumbers:
    def __init__(self, small, big):
        self.small = small
        self.big = big
        if self.small > self.big:
            self.big, self.small = self.small, self.big

def gcd(self, small, big):
        if big == 0:
            return small
        else:
            return self.gcd(big, small%big)

def seven_boom_range(self, small, big):
        empty = []
        if big > small:
            small, big = big, small
        if small > big:
            for i in range(1, small - big + 1):
                if "7" in str(i) or i % 7 == 0:
                    empty.append("BOOM")
                else:
                    empty.append(i)
            empty.insert(0, 0)
        return empty

def __repr__(self):
        return f"Small - {self.small}, Big - {self.big}\nGCD - {self.gcd(self.small, self.big)} \
\nSeven Boom Range: {self.seven_boom_range(self.small, self.big)}"

numbers = TwoNumbers(10, 20)
print(numbers)

OUTPUT:
Small - 10, Big - 20
GCD - 10 
Seven Boom Range: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 'BOOM', 8, 9, 10]
Actually, I changed something in the seven boom and now its shorter in a little ( just realized I can do it and the code still looks good, but still long ):
    def seven_boom_range(self, small, big):
        empty = []
        if big > small:
            small, big = big, small
        if small > big:
                    empty.append("BOOM")
                else:
                    empty.append(i)
            empty.insert(0, 0)
        return empty
up? anybody?\

EDIT: Why is the post moved to Homework? it was on code review.
its not homework, as said in the post... its code review, the code is already done, I need it to be reviewed... please move it back as it doesnt belong here and that is why no one answers... ( empty forum )
Probably because of the way it is presented it looks a lot like homework.
ben1122 likes this post
(Sep-28-2021, 05:36 PM)Yoriz Wrote: Probably because of the way it is presented it looks a lot like homework.

I can understand what you mean, but you can basically see the code is done.
The review I need is basically for all code, but especially the seven boom code since it is pretty long. ( if there was a way to make it shorter but also efficiency like mine ), or its good like that? ( and without a list ).

I think I understand why you said home work, cus I wrote stuff like changing it to not from a list and such.
anybody? please help?
I wanna know if the code is good...
  • TwoNumbers doesn't seem to be a very descriptive name for what the class represents
  • __init__ has parameters named small & big when it doesn't matter which is small and which is big.
  • __init__ defines self.small & self.big twice, could figure out which passed in attribute is small and big and assign once.
  • __init__ sorted could be used to order the passed in attributes.
  • method gcd may as well be a function, it does not use any of the class attributes or methods.
  • method seven_boom_range also could be a function that returns the __repr__'s str value, it also does not use any of the class attributes or methods, this looks like a function trying to look like a class.
  • empty is not a very good variable name for a container that will have items added to it.
  • seven_boom_range repeats the ordering of small & big that has already been done in the __init__.
Hi, thanks for the replay, appreciated :)
1. It is , look at my question - it says exactly what to do ( first start with small, big ) - then make it so it doesnt matter ( but keep the small and big thingy - I think, he didnt say to remove it, only just so if I write big or small, it will do the same order.

2. as said in 1, the question wanted it

3.sorted - ofc, it could, but it would ruin the point lol, our teacher dont want us to use python infunctions yet, he want us to learn ( we learnt a few time ago bubble, merge, select and quick sort, we had a lot of practice ). thats why I didnt use sort, it would ruin the whole point of the question ( as said in 1 and 2 ).

4. GCD - again, as said in the question, he asked for it recursively, I wrote it.

5. method seven_boom_range also could be a function that returns the __repr__'s str value, it also does not use any of the class attributes or methods, this looks like a function trying to look like a class.
didnt really understand what you mean? could explain it further? I didnt understand what you mean by that it doesnt use any class attributes?

6. empty - yea I know, its a little meaningless as I didnt name it for a project, but I guess you are right, I should get used to name variables to their names in small questions also.

7. seven_boom_range repeats the ordering of small & big that has already been done in the __init__
what do you mean? what range? you mean the if statement about if bla bla > bla? If I remove it, the code wont work. I will try to make it work somehow, but the list wont be any good.

But just a question. the seven boom function, is there any way of creating it with a return statement but without a list? i can do it with print, but I need it to be on return statement.
(Sep-28-2021, 05:16 PM)ben1122 Wrote: up? anybody?\

EDIT: Why is the post moved to Homework? it was on code review.
its not homework, as said in the post... its code review, the code is already done, I need it to be reviewed... please move it back as it doesnt belong here and that is why no one answers... ( empty forum )

(Sep-30-2021, 06:17 PM)ben1122 Wrote: 3.sorted - ofc, it could, but it would ruin the point lol, our teacher dont want us to use python infunctions yet, he want us to learn ( we learnt a few time ago bubble, merge, select and quick sort, we had a lot of practice ). thats why I didnt use sort, it would ruin the whole point of the question ( as said in 1 and 2 ).

4. GCD - again, as said in the question, he asked for it recursively, I wrote it.

(Sep-30-2021, 06:17 PM)ben1122 Wrote: 5. method seven_boom_range also could be a function that returns the __repr__'s str value, it also does not use any of the class attributes or methods, this looks like a function trying to look like a class.
didnt really understand what you mean? could explain it further? I didnt understand what you mean by that it doesnt use any class attributes?

if I took the method seven_boom_range out of the class, removed the parameter self so it become a function, it would still work.

def seven_boom_range(small, big):
    empty = []
    if big > small:
        small, big = big, small
    if small > big:
                empty.append("BOOM")
            else:
                empty.append(i)
        empty.insert(0, 0)
    return empty
oh you meant that.
yea that I know.
what is the difference? I dont really understand?
if I do a function in a class, it should work only inside the class? if I make same function outside of class, it shouldn't work? why so? so it means that my GCD recursive should not be good ( although it was asked ).

I cant really understand, how should I do seven boom so it works only inside class?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Generator: From Word to Numbers, from Numbers to n possibles Words Yamiyozx 2 1,428 Jan-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Convert list of numbers to string of numbers kam_uk 5 3,022 Nov-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Regular Expressions in Files (find all phone numbers and credit card numbers) Amirsalar 2 4,115 Dec-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE