Python Forum
Meson - to use or not to use
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meson - to use or not to use
I have a Flatpak of an application which uses a Python (3.10.0) program. The Flatpak manifest uses two ways of installing Python programs, the graphics utility "Pillow" is installed like this (Flatpak calls it "Simple"):

Quote: - name: python3-pillow
buildsystem: simple
build-commands:
- pip3 install --no-index --find-links="file://${PWD}" --prefix=${FLATPAK_DEST} Pillow
sources:
- type: file
url: blah blah
sha256: blah blah

The program itself is installed with Meson like this (Flatpak calls it "Meson") and there is a separate file called "meson.build" with details of the files to copy:

Quote: - name: myapp
buildsystem: meson
sources:
- type: git
tag: blah
url: blah blah
I'm a complete novice with installing Python programs so I'm all for keeping things simple. I am wondering whether I could install the program in the same way as Pillow. There are just a few files to copy. I am aware that making a Debian package involved creating "Wheel" and/or an "Egg" and so does creating the Flatpak with Meson. Can I forget both those things and just specify the files somehow as in the first example above? Don't worry about the Flatpak side of this - it's off-topic and so my problem. I'm just enquiring whether I could do this from the operating system command line. A bit of research into pip suggests that I would have to create a package first - which would be no simpler, is that correct?
pyenv is in my opinion the easest way to install python versions
each version is installed in it's own path, so you can switch from one version to another with a simple statement.

Read this:
pyenv Simple Python Version Management
once you have pyenv installed, the process is simple:

pyenv install 3.10.0
# And to make it current version:
pyenv global 3.10.0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replace Meson with PIP ChrisOfBristol 4 1,081 Sep-24-2022, 05:54 PM
Last Post: ChrisOfBristol