Python Forum
why is this exception being ignored?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is this exception being ignored?
Output:
Exception ignored in: <bound method _zopen.__del__ of <zopen2._zopen object at 0x7f3bfca40748>> Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/phil/zopen2.py", line 696, in __del__ if self.tempfile and self.tempname: # if writing a temporary file do not rename it File "/home/phil/zopen2.py", line 712, in __getattr__ raise AttributeError(f'attribute {name!r} requested of not open instance of class zopen') NameError: name 'name' is not defined Exception ignored in: <bound method _zopen.__del__ of <zopen2._zopen object at 0x7f3bfdc06c88>> Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/phil/zopen2.py", line 696, in __del__ if self.tempfile and self.tempname: # if writing a temporary file do not rename it File "/home/phil/zopen2.py", line 712, in __getattr__ raise AttributeError(f'attribute {name!r} requested of not open instance of class zopen') NameError: name 'name' is not defined
does anyone know why this exception is being ignored? i don't want to fix why that exception is happening until i know why it is being ignored because it is the only way i can test why the exception is being ignored.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Output:
Exception ignored in: <_io.TextIOWrapper name='<stdout>' mode='w' encoding='UTF-8'> BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
another one. why do exceptions get ignored, especially when my code handles them?

/usr/local/bin/range.py
#!/usr/bin/env python3
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
"""The range command outputs a range of decimal numbers given 1 to 3 arguments."""
from sys import argv,stderr
def help():
    print(__doc__,file=stderr)
def version():
    print('version 0.0.1',file=stderr)
argv.pop(0)
if argv and argv[0][:2]=='--':
    if '--help' in argv:help()
    if '--version' in argv:version()
    exit(3)
if len(argv) > 3:
    exit('too many numbers for start, end, and increment')
s = []
try:
    for a in argv:
        n = eval(a)
        if not isinstance(n,int):
            exit('all numbers must be integers')
        s.append(n)
    if not s:
        exit('no numbers')
    for n in range(*s):
        print(n)
except ValueError:
    exit('all numbers must be integers')
except KeyboardInterrupt:
    exit('\newww... that tickled!\n')
except BrokenPipeError:
    exit(0)

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I could not reproduce the bug with python 3.8.10 in linux. In the original post, I think the exception is ignored because it happened during the execution of a __del__ method. Try to close the zopen2._zopen instance before it is finalized perhaps.
Improving bad code to wake up ...
#!/usr/bin/env python3
"""The range command outputs a range of decimal numbers given 1 to 3 arguments."""

import click

@click.command()
@click.argument("start", type=int)
@click.argument("stop", type=int, default=None, required=False)
@click.argument("step", type=int, default=None, required=False)
def count(start, stop=None, step=None):

if stop is None:
        for value in range(start):
            print(value)

else:
        if step is None:
            step = 1
        for value in range(start, stop, step):
            print(value)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    count()
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
the zopen2._zopen instance does get closed when zhash is finished reading it. what is "finalized"? the __del__ method is there to have it do any needed close so the files are finished. what else do i need to do with this?

here's what that method has:
#-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------
# support object deletion
#-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------.-------
# if a temporary file is being written, then delete
# what is being written instead of replacing the
# original with what may be an incomplete new file
    def __del__(self):
        """This object is being deleted so clean up everything."""
        if self.ready:
            if self.tempfile and self.tempname:
                self.tempfile.close()
                remove(self.tempname)
                self.tempname = None # dereference (not essential since this object is being deleted)
                self.tempfile = None # dereference (not essential since this object is being deleted)
            self.close()
        return
the whole thing is at http://ipal.net/python/zopen.py (32708 bytes, 709 lines)

Read the official documentation of the __del__ method, especially the warning about the precarious condition under which this method si called. From my experience, it is always a bad idea to implement a del method. Many issues can happen, such as the one you encouter here: an attribute of the instance is no longer accessible and this raises an exception.

If you want to ensure that files are closed, use a context protocol for example. It will work more reliably, so implement __enter__() and __exit__() methods for the class. I don't understand why the __exit__ method doesn't impement the logic that you are injecting in __del__ in this code.
it does have __enter__() and __exit__() but they are very minimal. i will put the close call in __exit__() and see if that makes it cleaner.