Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coordinate conversion
How would you define a proper Fourier domain in python? By converting cartesian (x,y) coordinates into polar coordinates (r,\phi)?
I have a phd in mathematics and I don't understand the question.
So do I. I edited the question.

(Oct-27-2021, 07:41 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: I have a phd in mathematics and I don't understand the question.
Bachelor's in Math so I am hopeless.

However, I will offer a couple possible sources.
SciPy
Numpy FFTs
Gribouillis likes this post
You could perhaps describe the problem with more details. The question is very abstruse.
One must be careful with ready-made. It is not about projecting the data onto the Fourier domain. It is about the Fourier domain itself.

(Oct-28-2021, 02:16 AM)jefsummers Wrote: Bachelor's in Math so I am hopeless.

However, I will offer a couple possible sources.
SciPy
Numpy FFTs
No, it is not at all if you know what a domain of a function means. It is solely about defining Fourier domain on where the Fourier projected data is defined.

Maybe, I can state the question in other words; What would be proper frequency domain? Conversion of cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates?

(Oct-28-2021, 05:28 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: You could perhaps describe the problem with more details. The question is very abstruse.
A 17th century french author named Nicolas Boileau said
Quote:Ce que l'on conçoit bien s'énonce clairement, et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément.
Unfortunately people don't speak such a great french today, so that automatic translators fail to render this in english, but it means approximately
Quote:Whatever is well conceived is clearly said, And the words to say it flow with ease.
May I suggest that the underlying problem is not well enough conceived? I hope you'll find a better helper than me...
(Oct-28-2021, 11:54 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: A 17th century french author named Nicolas Boileau said
Quote:Ce qui se conçoit bien s'énonce clairement, et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément.
Unfortunately people don't speak such a great french today, so that automatic translators fail to render this in english, but it means approximately
Quote:Whatever is well conceived is clearly said, And the words to say it flow with ease.
May I suggest that the underlying problem is not well enough conceived? I hope you'll find a better helper than me...

I wish we had some auto-compiler here, like Latex. Let us consider the usual Euclidean domains (i.e., finite dimensional Hilbert spaces) \Omega_1 and
\Omega_2. Now, we define the following mapping

\Omega_1 --> \Omega_2
x --> f(x):=y

Which means, for any x \in \Omega_1, y := f(x) \in \Omega_2 . Here, the domains \Omega_1 and \Omega_2 are in the Euclidean space.
What I am questioning, what is the Fourier domain of \Omega_1 ? Is it simply the Fourier projection of the entire domain \Omega_1? Or, would it
still be fine if we consider polar coordinates as a conversion of \Omega_1?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  numpy.where array search for string in just one coordinate adetheheat 1 2,249 Jan-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Last Post: paul18fr