Python Forum
[split] Thoughts of re-imagining somethin in python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Thoughts of re-imagining somethin in python
(Sep-28-2016, 06:08 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i'm new to here, registered a few days ago. i've been on the old site a couple years. i have been doing python, off and on, since about 8 years ago an regularly for the past 3 years.  i have stopped programming in C but at times still do fixes to existing stuff.  my intent is to convert things to python, both C programs and bash scripts. a lot of what i decide to write reflects needs inherited from past coding but may no longer be needed. python is very close to what i have wanted of a language for many years. the indent based syntax is not, but over time i have it to be a good thing for programming, boosting python's orientation to improving development speed and ease.

I've thought about doing something similar... picking a package here and there from CPAN and re-imagining it in Python and making it available via pip.  I do think cpan has a better package browser than we do, though, although that rarely matters.  How often do people aimlessly search through packages?  Normally they just google something like "python html parser" and the pip package they want is within the top 3 results, so having a decent browser isn't needed.
(Sep-28-2016, 03:21 PM)nilamo Wrote: Normally they just google something like "python html parser" and the pip package they want is within the top 3 results, so having a decent browser isn't needed.

or google for "python OS" (lots of os docs) or "python web browser" (ooh, there is a module).

google is a fun waste of spare time.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Hello,

before google there was Archie

Archie was a good search engine (for it's day).

Before HTML, we had Gopher.
I seem to recall that you used Gopher to locate a site, then Archie to search within that site
but I could be wrong
I was very fortunate, and had access to the internet back in the early 80's.
Our company was on Prospect Hill in Waltham Massachusetts, we had a microwave link that was tied
directly to MIT (thanks to Ted Stefanik (who by the way was one of the authors of Front Page see:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/longterm/microsoft/stories/1998/microsofta101898.htm
)).
Then came Mozilla's Netscape and the Web was born
Before Netscape, there were no advertisements.

When google first started, I liked it a lot because you could always pinpoint what you were looking for.
Now that it tries ti cover all bases, you can still get what you're specifically looking for but usually gets fluff along with it.

Sure has come a long way
Wow, I like that  ;)
Quote:Ted Stefanik, a bear of a man who tops six feet, arrived in Redmond with a grudging respect for the company. He was one of more than 30 Microsoft employees or ex-employees who agreed to be interviewed for this story, which was reported between March and August.

"In late 1991, I hated Microsoft with a passion," Stefanik says. Windows 3.1, an early version of its franchise product, "was such a piece of trash," he says with a purist's disdain. "The problem is, Microsoft doesn't stop when it comes out with a bad product. Microsoft focuses."
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my thoughts on a vsplice command Skaperen 0 2,110 Mar-27-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Looking to hear the thoughts of Python developers vmdepyth 2 33,856 Dec-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Last Post: vmdepyth